Is SyncToy 2.0 Supposed to Work with Windows 7 Beta? (I know it is not supported) RRS feed

• Question

• I tried to run SyncToy with the eight folder pairs I have set up.  I ran preview first and it completed all the pairs OK.  I then clicked the "Run All".  It worked for a while but then stopped working.  I received the normal Windows "not responding" box and sent the requested info to Microsoft.  I tried to run SyncToy again, but this time with one pair at a time.  It responded that all pairs were in Sync except it stopped responding while processing the last pair.  I compared the folders on the two drives and discovered the pairs did not match even though SyncToys reported they were in snyc.

Decisions!!  Do I go back to the old fashioned way of backing up or do I go back to Vista?  I like SyncToy a lot.  It makes backing up easy and fast.   I also like Win 7 -- the only other issue I have experienced is my Creative X-fi card does not work correctly -- but then it took Creative almost two years to provide a Vista driver that worked for most systems. 

Saturday, January 24, 2009 8:20 PM

Answers

• Hi all,

We are still in process testing SyncToy on Windows 7. so as for now, we will not officially support Windows 7 until on or soon after the OS ships.

Basically SyncToy functionalities should work as on Vista. please send us any issues or recommendataions for SyncToy, or issues on Windows 7 Beta that you encountered.

Thanks

Yunwen

Thursday, January 29, 2009 8:05 PM

All replies

• No it doesn't seem to work, my old scheduled tasks via the synctoy cmdline exe just hangs until killed.

The Synctoy gui seems to work randomly.

Thursday, January 29, 2009 7:04 AM
  • Hi all,

We are still in process testing SyncToy on Windows 7. so as for now, we will not officially support Windows 7 until on or soon after the OS ships.

Basically SyncToy functionalities should work as on Vista. please send us any issues or recommendataions for SyncToy, or issues on Windows 7 Beta that you encountered.

Thanks

Yunwen

Thursday, January 29, 2009 8:05 PM
  • Let's be clear: SycToy does NOT work with Windows 7. The issues "Whisper2" has described still exist, even with Win7 RC!!

* For small folders (few items) SyncToy will work fine

* For larger folders (hundreds of items), SyncToy will show either of the two behaviours:
       - It starts to synch and will hang sometime into the process, with the only option to kill it.
       OR
       - It completes the snych, reports success, but if you compare the left and right folder, you will find it did not complete.

At this stage, SyncToy is NOT safe to use with Win7 and we should expect Microsoft to acknowledge this and provide an update as soon as possible.

Sunday, May 17, 2009 12:22 PM
  • It would be great if it would also delete folders (directories), because I am left with endless amounts of empty ones.

Thanks Johan
    Tuesday, June 9, 2009 6:47 AM
  • I concur. I having strange issues with Sync Toy.
    I'm using the 64bit client of 64bit W7 RC1.
    I set up a folder pair using the a network UNC path as the left and the local hard drive on the right (exactly as i did in XP).
    This worked the first time and copied all the sync'ed all the files left to right. I changed a few on the right, synced back OK.
    I do a preview first and all looks as expected.

The problem comes if i go to a differerent office. the UNC path is still valid and nothing has changed . But i then do a preview and it suggests its going to delete  ALL the files on the local hard drive copy for no good reason!

i've deleted all (sync tool / logs / pairs) and started over. It starts off OK, then as soon as i change network locations- danger hits.
    Monday, July 27, 2009 9:15 AM
  • I have tried ST 2.0 on Windows 7 build 7100; although it "works", it suffers from the mass-file-overwrite bug described elsewhere on these forums, rendering it effectively useless. Also managed to black-screen the computer while it was doing a preview - synctoy froze, then explorer, firefox and finally.. black screen and a reboot. charming!

However, just re-installed 1.4 on here and it works just fine! If it ain't broke, etc...
    Monday, July 27, 2009 10:34 AM
  • [...]

Thanks

Yunwen

Any news here on when we can expect SyncToy 2.0 to run in a stable and predictive way on Win7? Since I am using this app to keep 5 PCs in snych, it definitely is my "killer app" for Win7, i.e. I will not migrate from Vista to Win7 unless SyncToy works.

Thx
    Saturday, August 22, 2009 1:39 PM