Entering OneCare Product Key RRS feed

• Question

•  

Hello:

I am new to this forum and I am looking for help. The OneCare intallation menu reminds me to enter the ProductKey (on the box I purchased from Costco) but I never saw the prompt. Looking back I suspect it was the Windows Live ID prompt to which I should answer with the Product Key. Am I right? Since I have entered an ID I made up myself, OneCare won't let me change it. Should I uninstall OneCare and start over again? I have spent all my holiday trying to make it work. It's so frustrating.

Regards,

Ronald

Wednesday, December 26, 2007 6:32 PM

Answers

• If you click on Subscribe and it brings you to a sign in with the made up LiveID filled in already, yes, you will need to reinstall OneCare to clear this email address from the box. You can go to http://account.live.com to obtain a new LiveID or verify that your email address is already valid. Sign in with that LiveID and activate with the PIN/Product Key.

-steve

Wednesday, December 26, 2007 6:42 PM

All replies

• If you click on Subscribe and it brings you to a sign in with the made up LiveID filled in already, yes, you will need to reinstall OneCare to clear this email address from the box. You can go to http://account.live.com to obtain a new LiveID or verify that your email address is already valid. Sign in with that LiveID and activate with the PIN/Product Key.

-steve

Wednesday, December 26, 2007 6:42 PM
  • Thanks a lot Steve. This time I did see the prompt for the Product Key and was able to subscribe. After running the tuneup tool and going through all the procedures and get the OneCare status back to green, my laptop is still running very slow. I had to reformat the disk in order to get it back to speed again. I am disappointed with OneCare. It just reminds me to intall the latest Windows update rather than keeping my laptop fast and safe. I wonder how many users  out their like their experience with OneCare.

Ronald

Thursday, December 27, 2007 4:03 AM
  • Glad you got it working. As for the slowness issue - OneCare is, first and foremost, a security suite. It includes other capabilities to help with performance, such as Defrag and Cleanup during Tune-up and the ability, in v2, to monitor and advise you about startup programs that may be causing performance problems. Your laptop could be slow for any number of reasons - too many startup programs using resources and remaining in memory, conflicting security software, or even a hardware problem that may be difficult to diagnose.

-steve

Thursday, December 27, 2007 4:04 PM