Outlook 2003 Integration Requires Hotfix 936864 - Why? RRS feed

• Question

• I've been receiving the familiar "Outlook integration error" on my clients running Outlook 2003 SP3 with MOC 2007. The only way to resolve the error is to install MSKB Hotifx 936864 (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/936864/en-us). Funny thing is that the KB says nothing about Outlook 2003. It is an Office 2007 hotfix, and the article only references Office 2007 products. My question to anyone who can answer it is why do I have to install this hotfix? What does it do other than make the nag in MOC go away? I need some MSFT documentation on it stating why it is needed for Outlook 2003 and what it fixes. Otherwise, I can't justify rolling it out to my entire Outlook 2003 user base.

Thanks!

Brad

Friday, January 11, 2008 4:27 PM

All replies

• The hotfix appears to apply to Outlook 2003 as well; we've installed the hotfix as part of deployments with Outlook 2003 and it removes the "integration error" alert.
    Saturday, January 12, 2008 2:25 PM
  • Some additional research I did yesterday indicates that installing any Office 2007 components (Project, Visio, etc) or even the Office 2007 compatability pack for Office 2003 will make MOC ask for the hotfix. I noticed that on client machines that were freshly imaged with only Office 2003 SP3, there was no nag for the patch. Has anyone else observed this?

Saturday, January 12, 2008 6:30 PM
  • When I tried to run the patch, I got the "This patch doesn't apply to any installed product" error message. I have machines running Office 2003 / Outlook 2003, and Office Communicator 2007 that are receiving the Outlook Integration Error......

Anyone have any ideas?
    Monday, March 10, 2008 2:23 PM
  • It sounds like you don't need the patch. Why are you trying to install it?

If it is because you're getting the integration error, there are other causes for it.

I'd make sure the MOC December rollup is installed. Then make sure you have only one Outlook profile on the machine. Then, make sure that the primary SMTP address and user SIP URI are the same. Those are the most common factors that seem to cause the integration error for me.

Monday, March 10, 2008 3:50 PM
  •  bradpr wrote:

Then, make sure that the primary SMTP address and user SIP URI are the same. Those are the most common factors that seem to cause the integration error for me.

To prevent this, you may use the Communicator group policy setting "Disable Email Comparison Check for Outlook PIM Integration". This is especially useful when using multiple SIP domains in multi-domain or multi-forest scenarios.

Tuesday, March 18, 2008 10:19 AM
  • Did this group policy setting fix your issue?

I experienced the same issue on Outlook 2003 Sp2....to test I changed the primary SMTP address of user to the same as the SIP address and presence becomes available.

Another work around was to add the user into the Outlook Contacts with IM field populated - once in there the presence for that user would appear. Obviously with many users this is not an option

When I reverted back to different SMTP address & SIP address and I applied the group policy (and  verified by checking the registry entry) I could not get a positve outcome. i.e grey bubble - no presence. I tried this on Outlook 2003 SP2 and Sp3 clients. Any other ideas here?

Thanks

Friday, March 21, 2008 11:43 AM
  • I haven't tried the GP setting - BitFlip will need to answer that one.

Friday, March 21, 2008 5:58 PM
  • The group policy setting fixed the integration issue in my production environment, where we use Outlook 2007. In customer deployments where Outlook 2003 was used, I could not successfully deploy Outlook integration by today. The GPO setting seems to not work for Outlook 2003, although the setting is applied in the registry, as Lex2008 has stated already.

This being said, Outlook 2003 integration did not work regardless of the patch level, whether it was SP2, SP2+hotfix, SP3, or SP3+hotfix. Strange...

From my current deployment experience with OCS I consider the only approriate way to successfully deploy Outlook 2003-integration is to use identical SMTP- and SIP-addresses. That means that scenarios using multiple SIP-domains with a single SMTP-domain and/or SIP- domains different from the SMTP-domain would require Outlook 2007 and the GPO setting to work properly.

The reason for this error may be that Communicator queries Exchange Web Services via DNS at startup, explicitely autodiscover.<SMTP-domain>. Autodiscovery and Exchange Web Services are features of Exchange Server 2007. I suspect that Communicator is designed to use this automatic configuration mechanism solely, since Communicator itself can be configured for automatic configuration via DNS entries. Thus the erronous behaviour in combination with Outlook 2003, which does not rely on nor support Exchange 2007 features mentioned here, was consequently by design.

It would be worth the attempt to add a DNS host (A) record of autodiscover.<SMTP-domain> to the SMTP-domain's DNS domain in question and pointing it to an Exchange Server servicing the SMTP-domain. Just an idea...

I have not yet received confirmation from Microsoft that this behaviour is by design or a bug, but I guess it's by design.

Cheers and happy easter to y'all!!

Saturday, March 22, 2008 6:54 PM
  • Anyone found solution? 

We have Office 2003 installed.  SMTP and SIP addresses are the same.

We see an error that Outlook upgrade needed but we cannot install the patch because "There are no products affected by this package installed on this system" error.

Any ideas?

Thank you.

Wednesday, August 6, 2008 4:35 PM
  •  

I too am having the same issue. Any fixes for outlook 2003.

Wednesday, September 17, 2008 8:19 PM