What am I missing? RRS feed

• Question

• I have been involved with WHS from the original Betas, through the RCs, to the OEM and the PP1 Betas. Since November, I have been running the OEM on a brand new rig (nForce 5, AMD 64 X2 5200, 2gb DDR 800 RAM with 7 hard drives...all new.  They are 6 500gb WD drives and one 400gb WD system drive.  SInce October, two of the hard drives have failed.  The last was last week when I received a Remote Notification text message at work that simpy said hard drive failed.  When I got home, the WHS could not be rebooted or anything.  So, through a process of elimination, I unplugged the failed drive (SATA #5) and rebooted the WHS.  Under Server Sorage tab it showed one drive as missing.  (The one that I unplugged, the failed drive).  And it showed the Backup Service not running and multiple file conflicts.  And, there was no repair setting under Backups.  So, I removed the missing drive and rebooted.  Then the only option for me was to "Repair" the backup database which I selected.  After it was all finished (a couple of hours later) the WHS was rebooted and it looked back to normal. Except, all of my backups were deleted!.  And, some of my shares were corrupted. I understood that I might lose some data, but not all of it. If one drive fails out of six, why would I lose everything? Instead of a "Repair" option it should have said "Wipe Out."

I have now installed a replacement drive and it appears that it will take 2-3 days to get all of the clients backed up again (6 clients). But, I am absolutely amazed that (a) I have lost 2 of 6 new hard drives in seven months in this rig and (b) I have lost all of my backups twice in seven months.  WHS appears useful if a client fails but not so much if ititself fails.  I am going to try the Backup Backup Add-in as soon as I get this sorted out and other options to ensure I have a true backup solution.  I am starting to think that WHS might not be what I thought it was.  Anybody have any solutions or thoughts to prevent this from happening again?

Friday, August 22, 2008 6:46 PM

Answers

• There is a relatively small chance that the "repair" option for your backup database will do anything other than delete all your backups. This is because most problems with the database are the result of corrupted or missing files. When a component of the database is missing like that, the database as a whole is likely to be unusable (because there is no duplication of data in the database).
    Friday, August 22, 2008 7:26 PM

All replies

• There is a relatively small chance that the "repair" option for your backup database will do anything other than delete all your backups. This is because most problems with the database are the result of corrupted or missing files. When a component of the database is missing like that, the database as a whole is likely to be unusable (because there is no duplication of data in the database).
    Friday, August 22, 2008 7:26 PM
  • It could be worthwhile having a look at two new Alpha-state Add-Ins. To quote:

• WhsDbDump - 1.0.0 Build 4 BETA (Usage Instructions) (Usage Instructions) (Changes)
      • Creates human readable (hopefully) text from Windows Home Server backup database files. Currently is able to decode all database files. This is more of an informational learning tool than an actual utility. I created this to help me understand how the database works.
    • WhsDbCheck - 1.0.0 Build 3 ALPHA (Usage Instructions) (Changes)
      • Performs comprehensive checks on the Windows Home Server backup database looking for consistency problems.

Once these are to production stage, they are going to be helpful to a lot of people.

Colin

Friday, August 22, 2008 7:42 PM
  • Whenever I had an issue during the various stages of WHS developement and testing with the backup database, this means I had to redo it from the scratch.

Delete it manually to get a workstation backed up again, finding it at 0 byte, getting it somewhat corrupted, loosing it due to disk corruption is a way of less nice experience. These are the things which happen, if you involve your "live system" into beta testing.

Anyway I am still fan of the product and have still trust into it.

This being said, WHS services seem to be a bit too sensitive, if it comes to unexpected conditions in relation to hardware or disk health. Fortunately we usually still have a backup of the lost backup - the original machine.

Best greetings from Germany

Olaf

Friday, August 22, 2008 7:43 PM
  • Thanks for the comments.  Guess you are right, the original clients are the backup for WHS!  Oh well, I will look at Colin's new apps (above) and see if that helps me but to get an instanteaneous hard drive failure and lose everything is disconcerting, at best, when the data is supposed to be duplicated over five other drives.

(So, how about getting the Euro back down a bit so I can come visit Germany this winter!!!)

Ted

Saturday, August 23, 2008 2:57 PM
  • I look forward to trying these new apps.  Thanks for the heads up!

Ted

Saturday, August 23, 2008 2:59 PM
  • I need the version in Portuguese because i have in english but my computer have a a Windows Vista Home Edition and don't accept thet version of the  windows care in english. That make's acurred an error in the beginning of the program.

Vítor Carneiro

Vítor Carneiro
    Saturday, January 3, 2009 7:24 PM
  • I'm not sure you are in the right area, since this an old post for Windows Home Server.

If you are talking about Windows Live OneCare and/or Windows Vista Home, you should be posting in their forums.

If you are talking about a version of WHS in Portuguese, I don't think its available.
    At least, its not listed here
    http://mswhs.com/2008/08/01/whs-language-part-numbers/
    Sunday, January 4, 2009 7:07 AM