Multiple DHCP reservations showing for a WHS 2011 server that has a static IP setup? RRS feed

• Question

• I am running Windows Home Server 2011, this is based on windows Server 2008 (64-bit).

I have a static IP set up for the server, it has had a static IP for the last 3 years.

I was checking my DHCP table on the router and for some reason the server was taking 10 DHCP IP reservations (always the highest 10 in the range I believe.)

Rebooted the router to clear all reservations, then rebooted the server.  After the reboot the usual suspect devices all started grabbing IPs. Then a few minutes later, 10 IP reservations show up for the server again.

I tried pinging the IPs and accessing them with a browser. Pings time out, no browser access.

The weird part is that all 10 have the same MAC address, the address of the server.

Swapped out the NIC to a new NIC.  Same thing.  Now 10 reservations with the new MAC of the new NIC.

Has anyone seen this before?  It is puzzling and I am concerned that it could be some issue, it is definitely not right.

Saturday, February 28, 2015 10:37 PM

Answers

• Hi austinbike,

The DHCP Server service can be deployed along with the Routing and Remote Access service to provide remote access clients with a dynamically assigned IP address during connection.

When the server running Routing and Remote Access starts with the Use DHCP to assign remote TCP/IP addresses option, it instructs the DHCP client to obtain 10 IP addresses from a DHCP server.

For more details, please refer to following article.

Using Routing and Remote Access Servers with DHCP

If any update, please feel free to let us know.

Best regards,

Justin Gu

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

• Proposed as answer by Justin Gu Monday, March 9, 2015 5:31 AM
    • Marked as answer by Justin Gu Tuesday, March 10, 2015 2:48 AM
    Wednesday, March 4, 2015 1:24 PM

All replies

• No never heard of anything like this. When you say you have a Static IP for the Server, is that fixed on the server or is it a specific router allocation for your Server? If it's not already, try fixing the IP on the Server and see what happens.

Phil P.S. If you find my comment helpful or if it answers your question, please mark it as such.

Saturday, February 28, 2015 11:47 PM
  • The static IP address is set on the server through windows.
    Sunday, March 1, 2015 12:57 AM
  • So DHCP is OFF on the Server? If that's the case, I have no idea what the problem is a it should not be asking for IP addresses.

Phil P.S. If you find my comment helpful or if it answers your question, please mark it as such.

Sunday, March 1, 2015 1:01 AM
  • Hi austinbike,

The DHCP Server service can be deployed along with the Routing and Remote Access service to provide remote access clients with a dynamically assigned IP address during connection.

When the server running Routing and Remote Access starts with the Use DHCP to assign remote TCP/IP addresses option, it instructs the DHCP client to obtain 10 IP addresses from a DHCP server.

For more details, please refer to following article.

Using Routing and Remote Access Servers with DHCP

If any update, please feel free to let us know.

Best regards,

Justin Gu

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

• Proposed as answer by Justin Gu Monday, March 9, 2015 5:31 AM
    • Marked as answer by Justin Gu Tuesday, March 10, 2015 2:48 AM
    Wednesday, March 4, 2015 1:24 PM