Home computer RRS feed

• Question

• Let's say you had required hardware and software on a computer at home and you wanted to install the Outlook client.  (Actually, these are independent contractors using the CRM but not having any Exchange server for their email -- a stand-alone, Office installed computer.)

Where are there complete installation instructions for such a set up?  All the IE configurations and steps.

In my limited experience I've had no problems with Outlook where the user belongs to SOME domain.  But I can't get one simple PC user setup to work.

Any non-documented suggestions would also be appreciated. 
    Tuesday, February 3, 2009 7:23 PM

All replies

•  The user needs to be in Active Directory to run the Outlook Client.
    Best Regards, Donna
    Tuesday, February 3, 2009 8:43 PM
  • Donna Edwards said:

The user needs to be in Active Directory to run the Outlook Client.

Best Regards, Donna

That part I know though that's not exclusive to Outlook client -- one has to have an active directory account to connect web facing.

What I'm looking for are the details of set up requirements when the Outlook is external & free standing and the user may not be logging into a network or even to the machine.
    Thursday, February 5, 2009 3:33 PM
  • Ok thank you, you will want to install the Offline Client on the user's Outlook so the user can work in offline mode.  The user will need to connect from time-to-time to upload changes and obtain updates.
    Best Regards, Donna
    Thursday, February 5, 2009 3:41 PM
  • In fact, I am opting not to use the offline version because it is too troublesome.  The kernal is that we have consultants who work out of their homes -- they use Outlook against isp email not our Exchange.  I have a successful installation that does not connect to CRM.  I'm looking for details to see what I may have missed during my successful installation -- why it configures but doesn't work.

Honestly, I don't see why there is a difference other than the need to sign in when Outlook launches rather than when turning on the machine.  And that's what's not working as I expect so I suspect there is something I didn't set up that says to Outlook, "hey, no one is logged in anywhere so you have to gather the credentials for authenticating the CRM connection."

Where might I find such an installation documented?
    Thursday, February 5, 2009 3:54 PM
  • Check out this link.  I think it will provide you with the information you need. 

http://blogs.msdn.com/crm/archive/2008/04/11/using-the-crm-outlook-client-without-a-vpn-connection.aspx

Best Regards, Donna
    • Proposed as answer by Jim Glass Jr Thursday, February 5, 2009 8:31 PM
    • Marked as answer by Matt Parks Wednesday, May 6, 2009 10:18 PM
    • Unmarked as answer by mardukes Thursday, May 7, 2009 2:10 PM
    Thursday, February 5, 2009 6:32 PM
  • Oh no.  This blog information is wrong.  If I try to set up a my company configuration I get 401 error.  Microsoft documentation says to use the provider option when not using VPN to get inside the domain.  I've set up a networkd password and made my CRM server a trusted site and I still don't get a connection -- only once have I gotten the login form!  And I've seen the exact same setup work on another machine.

I'm taking a couple of machines home at lunch to isolate on the provider (Comcast), my network router and OS -- I haven't seen it work with Vista.
    Thursday, May 7, 2009 2:16 PM