none
Where should I ask questions about determining if a Type 3 printer is using a XPSDRV printer driver?

Question

• On Vista and Windows 7, what is the best way to determine if a printer is using a XPSDRV printer driver? 

On Windows 8, DRIVER_INFO_8 has an attribute flag that identifies XPSDRV printer drivers.  But Type 3 printers can also use XPSDRV printer drivers on Vista and Windows 7. 

On any Windows OS, to properly send my PDL RAW data straight to the printers, I need to know if the printer is using a XPSDRV printer driver.

Saturday, October 04, 2014 2:30 PM

Answers

• If end-user then I'd try here or the printer manufacturer's web site.

Windows Devices / Driver forums on Microsoft Answers

If development related then you might try over here.

Windows Desktop Dev forums on MSDN

This is a commercial application.  The executable is one of several services, running on different machines of potentially disparate OSes.   The services redirect print jobs between machines.  The data that is being printed is usually RAW print data and quite often will contain specific commands designed for the destination "print" device.  The Windows services that do the final interacting with the Windows Spooler, to do the printing, don't have desktop interaction capabilities.

Given that these are services without desktop interaction, and though my original question specifically mentioned Windows 7 and Windows Vista, the actual Windows OSes involved could be desktop or server OSes... Would the Windows Desktop Dev forums on MSDN still be the proper location for this question?

Monday, October 06, 2014 4:12 PM

All replies

Regards, Dave Patrick ....
    Microsoft Certified Professional
    Microsoft MVP [Windows]

Disclaimer: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees , and confers no rights.

Saturday, October 04, 2014 9:53 PM

This is a commercial application.  The executable is one of several services, running on different machines of potentially disparate OSes.   The services redirect print jobs between machines.  The data that is being printed is usually RAW print data and quite often will contain specific commands designed for the destination "print" device.  The Windows services that do the final interacting with the Windows Spooler, to do the printing, don't have desktop interaction capabilities.

Given that these are services without desktop interaction, and though my original question specifically mentioned Windows 7 and Windows Vista, the actual Windows OSes involved could be desktop or server OSes... Would the Windows Desktop Dev forums on MSDN still be the proper location for this question?

Monday, October 06, 2014 4:12 PM
  • Yes, that's where I'd ask.

Regards, Dave Patrick ....
    Microsoft Certified Professional
    Microsoft MVP [Windows]

Disclaimer: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees , and confers no rights.

Monday, October 06, 2014 5:35 PM