A bit late perhaps, but actual experience that shows the success of OneCare RRS feed

• General discussion

•  I was one of the original beta testers of OneCare back in the beginning (even got a tee shirt from Microsoft) and have used if off and on over the past few years.

Last fall my son and his family (three teenagers and a seven year old) got their first computer, Vista Home Premium.  My son and his wife had no experience with computers, but the kids learned in school and had the typical street smarts the can test a computer.

I installed a OneCare 90-day trial on the machine along with Spywareblaster.  I set each person up with a limited account and they experimented and put the computer to work. 

At the end of the trial I talked to my son by phone and the computer seemed to be running fine so I had him buy a subscription to OneCare.

We didn't visit again until last weekend.  I went into the computer to see how it was running after all this time with "novice adults" and street wise kids using it.

I was impressed.  The computer booted in under 35 seconds.  The monthly reports were clean, all windows updates had taken place and the computer had completed defrags.
    The computer shutdown in under 15 seconds.   Checking the Vista reliability and performance index, the computer was running at 9.97 and had been on a level line for months.

Proof in my eyes that OneCare did what it was generally advertised to do.  Provide protection and general maintaining of a computer for someone with limited or basic skills.

While not for everyone and not perfect, OneCare did what I wanted it to do.
    Monday, February 23, 2009 3:11 PM

All replies

• I did exactly the same thing with my sister's/nephew's Vista Home Basic and my cousin's Win XP Home.  It's worked great for both including when my nephew recently decided to accept the 'antivirus 2009' installation displayed by a pop-up.  Blocked the trojans and between the limited account and OneCare never even got a foothold, even though he accepted the entire install.  Once it alerted about the trojans, he called to let me know what it had stated, so even that was helpful to know.

The good thing is that the new free 'Morro' should work just as well at protecting such a properly configured PC.  The only actual protection it will likely be missing is the firewall, which experience has shown doesn't really protect when a PC has been compromised anyway.

Did your son's family use any of the other features like backup or were they just using the anti-malware protection?  I used the backup to perform the upgrade (fresh install) from Windows XP to Vista Basic and my cousin uses it to backup his pictures, but otherwise neither have used anything but Tune-Up to any extent, since they only have one PC each.

The only thing that OneCare seemed to lack was completely foolproof installation, since it's own complexity and the 'leftovers' from previously installed security programs sometimes made that process difficult.  That's why I feel that 'Morro' will actually be an improvement, since it should be a much simpler install with less complexity and thus less potential for issues with both installation and operation.

OneCareBear
    Windows OneCare Forum Moderator
    Tuesday, February 24, 2009 6:22 AM
  • No, my son has only used it for the protection and tune-up features.

Being around OneCare these years we had no problem uninstalling Trend Protect and I believe Spyware Doctor.

As the old TV pitchman Ron Popeil always said, it has been pretty much "set it and forget it".

Tutorials on backup and using the computer for pictures will have to be another trip.
    Tuesday, February 24, 2009 9:43 AM