Last Microsoft update- genuine Windows? RRS feed

• Question

• So, I've had a computer for about a year and I'm pretty comfortable w/ my "emachines W3052". It has worked great for a beginner and I've learned a lot.

I've always used Windows auto-update for the security updates and have downloaded things from Microsoft by myself. They always check the computer first and it is always "validated"- it is legal and registered & etc. I bought it at Wal-Mart!

Anyway, a few days ago I downloaded the Windows Genuine Advantage download that was recommended and all of a sudden I'm getting Pop-ups saying this is not genuine Windows and it's pirated! What's going on? I know it's real, I can download from Microsoft & Windows and my computer is always validated. I have the sticker & whatever code #, I'm registered.

Now I'm thinking- because I really crashed everything a few mos. ago; maybe things got moved around when I was able to do the major restore thing thru the bios. Also I added a second user for my roommate, would his "user screen" not be rcognized by GWA?

Anybody from Microsoft or other people who have had tis problem w/ this latest download please reply------best of all, tell me how to delete this stupid,erroneous update!

Everything worked fine until I got this in and you can't delete it thru Add/Delete.

Long letter, Thanks for your time!

KenTheCook

Sunday, April 30, 2006 9:34 AM

Answers

• One crucial piece of information you rovided was the fact that your system crashed. When it crashed was a re-install done on the system? Who did the re-install? It could be they used an invalid Product Key to do the install?

Could you please run the diag tool here:

http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=52012

and confirm that this Product Key matches the Prdouct Key on your COA? Only the last 15 digits are displayed but that will be sufficient to determine whether they match or not.

If they do not match please submit a free support incident here:

http://support.microsoft.com/oas/default.aspx?&c1=509&gprid=9860&

for WGA Issues and we will assist you in resolving this issue.

hth

dave

Tuesday, May 2, 2006 10:43 PM

All replies

• What is the error message you are recieving Ken?
    Monday, May 1, 2006 4:59 AM
  • this is also my experience my COMPUTER'S MESSAGE READS:  YOU MAYBE A VICTIM OF SOFTWARE COUNTERFIETING
    Monday, May 1, 2006 8:44 PM
  • What is the messaging you get when you press "More Information" ?
    Tuesday, May 2, 2006 5:59 AM
  • I Have a little pop-up at the bottom of my start up screen saying " This is not geuine Windows, you may have a pirated copy" or something along those lines. Then when I choose my User I get another pop-up that counts  down from 4-3-2-1 then "allows" me to retry later.

Screw this, I want this fixed! 

Tuesday, May 2, 2006 8:17 AM
  • I usually goto Microsoft , somewhere -If I want to, I can download from either Microsoft or Windows. It verifies or validates me! Fix this!

Tuesday, May 2, 2006 8:42 AM
  • Yes...

I'm curious to the validation failure message you are recieving?

This is not an erroneous update. The copy of Windows installed on your computer is not genuine. Help me help you. What is the message you are recieving when you click to find more information?

Tuesday, May 2, 2006 10:03 AM
  • One crucial piece of information you rovided was the fact that your system crashed. When it crashed was a re-install done on the system? Who did the re-install? It could be they used an invalid Product Key to do the install?

Could you please run the diag tool here:

http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=52012

and confirm that this Product Key matches the Prdouct Key on your COA? Only the last 15 digits are displayed but that will be sufficient to determine whether they match or not.

If they do not match please submit a free support incident here:

http://support.microsoft.com/oas/default.aspx?&c1=509&gprid=9860&

for WGA Issues and we will assist you in resolving this issue.

hth

dave

Tuesday, May 2, 2006 10:43 PM