Expanding drive size in a WHS VHD RRS feed

• Question

• Let me do my best to explain my question.  Please bare with me...

I have a server running 2k8 r2.  On this server, I have HyperV running, with one WHS VM currently.  Last week, I ran out of space on the drive and added an additionaol hardrive to the system.  I managed to migrate my VHD to the new drive.  I ran 'edit disk' from the HyperV Manager snap-in.  I doubled the disk size from 250 gb to 500 gb.  I restarted the VM and its running fine. 
    My issue is I can't figure out how to increase the available disk size within the VM I'm running.  I read that Disk Manager should be able to help me, but I cannot locate any 'expand' or 'increase' functions.  Can someone please help me to increase my WHS VM drive space?

Thursday, August 12, 2010 6:29 PM

All replies

• Hi,
    the command line utility Diskpart with it's extend parameter is what you are searching for. Although I never tested this with a WHS volume, since my data volumes always have been physical drives, so I can give no guarantee, if this will function.

• Open cmd prompt.
    • Type diskpart.
    • Type list volume and check which volume you wish to extend.
    • Type select volume X (replace X with the proper number).
    • Type extend to attach all free space following the volume to it's storage.

Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf

Thursday, August 12, 2010 9:16 PM
  • Rather than trying to increase the "size" of the disk that Windows Home Server has, why not allocate an additional disk? Increasing the size is likely to cause odd behavior such as incorrect sizes, free space, etc. reported in the console.
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Thursday, August 12, 2010 11:20 PM