Increase the Torrent speed? RRS feed

• Question

• Dear friends,

I am using uTorrent to download the torrent files! I am using 2mbps BSNL plan and the download speed for torrent files in uTorrent is just 30Kbps! Any of you know, how to increase the downloading speed?
    Monday, February 26, 2007 7:43 PM

All replies

• First thing first, BSNL provides upto 2 Mbps.
    Coming to your issue, the torrents are not like client-server architecture and the speed depends on the swarm's speed. But there are some things that you can try:

1. Test your upload speed here
    2. Set your upload speed (in uTorrent) to 80% of max upload speed. Full throttle affects download speed.
    3. The max no. of TCP connections by Xp SP2 is 10. You can increase this to get more speed. More on this here.
    4. Check seeds and peers. 50 seeds out of 50 peers is better than 500 seeds out of 100 peers.
    5. By default, torrent client uses a port 6881-6999. Now, torrent traffic amounts for around 33% of total traffic and hence your ISP may limit your speed on these ports. Change to other ports if this may be the case. Almost all good clients allow to do so.
    I hope this helps.
    Monday, February 26, 2007 8:56 PM
  • normally the speed depends on the torrent u r downloading and the no. of seeds and peers but if u feel that though u have sufficient seeds and still don get that much speed then try to change the options in preferences...also don forget to port forward which has a greater effect on the speed...
    Tuesday, February 27, 2007 1:41 AM
  • what is the torrent speed
    Wednesday, February 28, 2007 9:28 AM
  • the speed depends on that from which peer you are downloading.  if both peers are on good speed connections, speed gets increased. the second factor is how many computers are there between two peers. if there are more than 14 nodes in between, the speed goes down substantially.
    Wednesday, February 28, 2007 6:35 PM