none
Cannot View Backups on some PC's RRS feed

• Question

• Two problems 
    When trying to view a backup (VistaPC1) I am recieving an error and it stops at 6% and states "Cannot connect to the backup service on the server Verigy that all services are running." there are no errors on the home server in the event log for this. 

I can view the backup for VistaPC1 on another PC (VistaPC2)

The backups for another PC (XPPro) can not be viewed by either VistaPC1 or VistaPC2.  I followed the instruction on the kb 939218 on the XPPro machine but no success in viewing the backups

home user
    Sunday, November 23, 2008 12:23 AM

Answers

• Fuzzy John said:

Lara Jones said:

Hi,

Are these backups taken prior to the November QFE or after? If these were done prior, can you try with one taken after and let me know if you get the same behavior?

I am having the same problem. I can open a backup once. After that I get the message about not being able to connect to the backup service on the server. After a reboot I can open a backup once and then again the error. In my case opening the backup stops at 6% for either of the drives included in the backup.

This is a new installation of WHS and the backup I am trying to open was taken after the 11/25 update. It is the only backup I have on the WHS so far, only one machine connected to the WHS.

Client: Vista Home Premium SP-1
    Both WHS and Client use the Windows Firewall.
    Both WHS and Client use Avast! Antivirus.

Hi,

I'd like to have the team look at this. If you are not already registered on Connect, please register and then join the program. Once you are in the program, please file a bug here

We will need to review CABs. You can find a tutorial regarding how to submit client and server CABs here. If you are running a x64bit client, please use this version of the toolkit:

EDIT: Okay. I can't paste this URL into this post. For some reason, the URL keeps getting mangled.  Let's try this once more.

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=8c536513-e0bc-4594-86b2-e65c6ed809b6&DisplayLang=en

Lara Jones [MSFT] Windows Home Server Team
    Wednesday, November 26, 2008 9:52 PM

All replies

• Curleyjack said:

Two problems 
    When trying to view a backup (VistaPC1) I am recieving an error and it stops at 6% and states "Cannot connect to the backup service on the server Verigy that all services are running." there are no errors on the home server in the event log for this. 

I can view the backup for VistaPC1 on another PC (VistaPC2)

The backups for another PC (XPPro) can not be viewed by either VistaPC1 or VistaPC2.  I followed the instruction on the kb 939218 on the XPPro machine but no success in viewing the backups

home user

Do you have any 3rd party firewall/internet security software on the PCs that cannot view the backups?
    Sunday, November 23, 2008 12:56 AM
  • While I do have a 2rd party firewall/av program on VisaPC2, I do not on VistaPC1.  Now they all are hanging at the infamous 79%.  Once it hangs I have to reboot the client to view it's backup.  I don't recall having this issue prior to installing Power Pack 1 full release.  Does it matter if the Op systems are 32 or 64 bit? 
    home user
    Tuesday, November 25, 2008 11:21 PM
  • Curleyjack said:

While I do have a 2rd party firewall/av program on VisaPC2, I do not on VistaPC1.  Now they all are hanging at the infamous 79%.  Once it hangs I have to reboot the client to view it's backup.  I don't recall having this issue prior to installing Power Pack 1 full release.  Does it matter if the Op systems are 32 or 64 bit? 

home user

There is a new update for WHS today that may fix your 79% problem.  You should try checking for updates on your Home Server.
    Wednesday, November 26, 2008 6:20 AM
  • Heh, after you update you'll get to 81% done and get notified if you want to reformat the Z: drive. :P  At least that's where I'm at for now, hopefully I'll be able to resolve it.
    Wednesday, November 26, 2008 6:38 AM
  • Lliam predicted my outcome correctly in that the Veiw Backup stopped at 81%.  However attempte resulted in an error with the red X stating "Cannot Connect ot the backup service son the server. Verify that all services are running.  The server does have an event error and it states "

Restore of XPPro C:\ by VistaPC2 has failed.

And the Server Console shows to be healthy. 

P.S. the VistaPC2 is an 64 bit system

home user
    Wednesday, November 26, 2008 5:35 PM
  • Curleyjack said:

Lliam predicted my outcome correctly in that the Veiw Backup stopped at 81%.  However attempte resulted in an error with the red X stating "Cannot Connect ot the backup service son the server. Verify that all services are running.  The server does have an event error and it states "

Restore of XPPro C:\ by VistaPC2 has failed.

And the Server Console shows to be healthy. 

P.S. the VistaPC2 is an 64 bit system

home user

Hi,

Are these backups taken prior to the November QFE or after? If these were done prior, can you try with one taken after and let me know if you get the same behavior?

Thanks
    Wednesday, November 26, 2008 5:39 PM
  • Lara Jones said:

Hi,

I am having the same problem. I can open a backup once. After that I get the message about not being able to connect to the backup service on the server. After a reboot I can open a backup once and then again the error. In my case opening the backup stops at 6% for either of the drives included in the backup.

This is a new installation of WHS and the backup I am trying to open was taken after the 11/25 update. It is the only backup I have on the WHS so far, only one machine connected to the WHS.

Wednesday, November 26, 2008 9:20 PM
  • Fuzzy John said:

Lara Jones said:

Hi,

Hi,

I'd like to have the team look at this. If you are not already registered on Connect, please register and then join the program. Once you are in the program, please file a bug here

We will need to review CABs. You can find a tutorial regarding how to submit client and server CABs here. If you are running a x64bit client, please use this version of the toolkit:

EDIT: Okay. I can't paste this URL into this post. For some reason, the URL keeps getting mangled.  Let's try this once more.

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=8c536513-e0bc-4594-86b2-e65c6ed809b6&DisplayLang=en

Wednesday, November 26, 2008 9:52 PM
  • 1. I downloaded the WHSToolkit and ran the Connector Troubleshooter.  It reports that "The version of the Connector software does not match the version of Windows Home Server".

So I Uninstalled the Connector on the Client and reinstalled as per the instructions with no change.  I can open the WHS Console from the client and all is Green

2.  I am unable to follow the links provided adequately to find instructions on how to submit the CAB's.
    home user
    Thursday, November 27, 2008 3:39 AM