Back up file empty RRS feed

• Question

•  

I have recently backed up my computer using 'one care' but when I went into the external hard drive the file exists but shows that it is empty.

When I review the details of the back up it shows 19,000 + files that were backed up.

Is there something that I am missing?

thanks

Judy

Saturday, December 6, 2008 7:17 PM

Answers

• The contents of the backup folder on the external drive are protected and hidden by OneCare. If you check the properties of the drive, you'll see that space has indeed been used.

-steve

Monday, December 8, 2008 6:22 PM

All replies

• The contents of the backup folder on the external drive are protected and hidden by OneCare. If you check the properties of the drive, you'll see that space has indeed been used.

-steve

Monday, December 8, 2008 6:22 PM
  •  

Hi Steve,

When I look at the properties of the One Care Back up it says that there is 1.05 KB in 2 files and 7 folders.  That doesn't seem like enough to have a full back up in it.  Should I configure Back up to include all files etc on the computer including music and photos?  How do I do that?

Is it better to use One Care to Back up the computer or the 'Bounce Back' program that came with my external hard drive? I did once use the Bounce Back program and when i looked at the properties of that back up there is 193 MB of info there in 46 files and 9 folders. 

Hmmm.

What do you suggest?

Thanks,
    Judy

Wednesday, December 10, 2008 12:26 AM
  • As I said before, the OneCare backups are hidden, which is why you get the false report of the folder contents. The backups are there, which you can see by running the Restore from within OneCare, but not actually restoring any data.

For "what" to backup, that's your choice, too. I would backup anything that you don't want to lose.

I don't really like OneCare backup, preferring to use several other solutions. However, OneCare backup is decent and much better than no backup at all. You benefit from managing backups from within OneCare.

If you prefer the software that came with the external drive, feel free to disable OneCare backup and use the other software. Just make sure that you backup frequently as it isn't for *if* you experience a problem, but for *when* you experience a problem with the drive or file system. :-)

-steve

Wednesday, December 10, 2008 1:49 PM
  • Thanks Steve

Friday, December 12, 2008 12:47 AM