Error when starting SyncToy RRS feed

• Question

• About two weeks, I started getting this error when starting SyncToy:

EventType : clr20r3     P1 : synctoy.exe     P2 : 2.0.100.0     P3 : 48a0aad1
    P4 : system     P5 : 2.0.0.0     P6 : 471ebf0d     P7 : 3a3a     P8 : 63    
    P9 : system.typeloadexception   

I have uninstalled SyncToy and reinstalled it, still get the error.

I am running Windows XP Pro with SP 2.

Any ideas?

TIA,
    T. Aumann
    Monday, October 12, 2009 11:24 AM

Answers

• Hi -

I see that you are getting a TypeLoadException so it is missing some assembly that it needs on startup or a type is missing in that assembly. I would reinstall the .net framework 2.0 as well. After uninstalling SyncToy, make sure that the Microsoft Sync Framework and the Microsoft SYnc Framework Services are uninstalled as well. Try installing SyncToy after that.

( as a sidenote you should upgrade to SP3 for XP).

Thanks
    Deepa
    Deepa ( Microsoft Sync Framework)
    Thursday, January 14, 2010 7:23 PM

All replies

• I guess it may be caused by some windows update if you just got this error 2 weeks ago and ran it well before.

For better tracking your problem, would you please share out the syncToy log when this error happened?

You can get the log by SyncToy UI->File->View Log, and also set the log trace level as "Verbose", the SyncToy configuration file locate at C:\Program Files\SyncToy 2.1\SyncToy.config

Thanks,
    Ping
    This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    Saturday, January 9, 2010 9:05 AM
  • Hi -

I see that you are getting a TypeLoadException so it is missing some assembly that it needs on startup or a type is missing in that assembly. I would reinstall the .net framework 2.0 as well. After uninstalling SyncToy, make sure that the Microsoft Sync Framework and the Microsoft SYnc Framework Services are uninstalled as well. Try installing SyncToy after that.

( as a sidenote you should upgrade to SP3 for XP).

Thanks
    Deepa
    Deepa ( Microsoft Sync Framework)
    Thursday, January 14, 2010 7:23 PM
  • Just deinstall .NET Framework  and reinstall it.
    After that deinstall Sync Toy. Download Sync Toy 2.1 from

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=c26efa36-98e0-4ee9-a7c5-98d0592d8c52&displaylang=en

Extract the package and install the MSI files in it. The order in which the MSIs need to be installed :

Synchronization.msi, ProviderServices.msi, SyncToysetup.msi

Each of the 3 MSIs can be run in quiet mode using the MSI command line utility (msiexec.exe).

kind regard
    AI
    Thursday, January 14, 2010 7:34 PM