Problem with installings OCS RRS feed

• Question

• I'm having a problem during the installation of OCS2007.

The problem occurs during the second step : Create Enterprise Pool

I always get this error : "An error occured during the pool backend detection. Pool backend discovery failed. Failed to start SQL service or invalid sql instance."

I filled the fields with this info :

Pool name : pool1
    Domain : voip.be
    Pool fqdn: pool1.voip.be
    SQL server intance : SQLSERVER\voipdb

So the name of my server is SQLSERVER and the instancename is voipdb. All the sql services are up en running.
    I tried to remove SQL and install it again with the default instance name. Then you just have to fill the name of the server in the second step of the installationproces.

I still got the same error.

As a user I've made myself a member of the RTCUniversalServerAdmins group and other groups. I have full permissions on the server.

Does someone know what to do with this?

Thanks in advance.
    Thursday, October 9, 2008 6:11 PM

Answers

• Looks like something went wrong during the SP2 updateprocess. After installing SP2 again the instance was found by OCS.
    Thanks for the help guys!
    Tuesday, October 21, 2008 1:59 PM

All replies

• What version of SQL (and servicepack) are you using on the backend server?  Is it configured on the default ports?

Thursday, October 9, 2008 7:32 PM
  • I'm using SQL Server 2005 Standard Edition with SP 1. I mostly used the default settins during the installation, so I think it's configured on its default ports.

I'm trying to create the pool on the backend server as well. I'm following the OCS deployment guide, and they recommend it to do it that way.

I find it strange that the program can't find the sqlserver. Even when the sqlserver is operating at the same machine named SQLSERVER as I said in my first post.
    Thursday, October 9, 2008 8:31 PM
  • Here are a few things to confirm/try:

1. Are you running SQL on standard port (1433)? Can you telnet to SQL server from the Front-End on that port?

2. Have you installed the SQL 2005 Backward Compatibility Pack on the Front-End?

3. Can you ping the FQDN of the SQL Server from the Front-End?

4. You may want to install the SQL Management Studio on the Front-End and see if you can connect to verify connectivity from Front-End to SQL Server.

5. Make sure nothing like the Windows Firewall is blocking necessary ports.

Thursday, October 9, 2008 8:46 PM
  • I will check that tomorrow. What I don't understand is why OCS can't find SQLSERVER\voipdb during the installation. Even when the sqlserver with the voipdb instance is running on that same machine with all services turned on.
    I'm not even trying to make connection with the front end.

Thanks for your advice.
    Thursday, October 9, 2008 9:00 PM
  • Sorry I didn't see the post where you were running setup on the back-end server itself. In that case can you launch the SQL Management Stuido and connect to the instance? Does that work successfully? Are you running 32 bit or 64 bit OS?

Friday, October 10, 2008 12:41 PM
  • Yes I can connect to the instance. I am running 32 bit OS.
    Saturday, October 11, 2008 8:54 AM
  • Looks like something went wrong during the SP2 updateprocess. After installing SP2 again the instance was found by OCS.
    Thanks for the help guys!
    Tuesday, October 21, 2008 1:59 PM