OneCare misses spyware RRS feed

• Question

• Immediately after runnng a regularly scheduled complete Tune Up and getting a report that nothing bad was found I ran Spybot and AdAware 2007.  Spybot reported and removed 4 items (Ad Revolver-2 cookies; Double Click; and Fast Check).  Ad Aware found and removed 9 Tracking Cookies, all variartions of "index.dat."   Why does OneCare not detect and remove these items?  Will the new version, when installed, do a better job?

I have used OneCare for going on 2 years and am unaware of any spy ware being found and removed.

Sunday, December 23, 2007 2:57 PM

Answers

• One Care does not scan cookies. The security threat level of cookies tends to be grossly overstated. You can use the tools included in your browser to control cookie handling on your computer.

Sunday, December 23, 2007 3:36 PM

All replies

• One Care does not scan cookies. The security threat level of cookies tends to be grossly overstated. You can use the tools included in your browser to control cookie handling on your computer.

Sunday, December 23, 2007 3:36 PM
  • LOOK at the name of the product you are using. I bet your running windows onecare live and not windows live onecare.

Microsft wiill likely miiss this name change because it wll change agian befoor they fix it It has been that way foor the last six months . Oh by the way think both programs can scan your harddrive.

Monday, December 24, 2007 4:02 PM
  •  Pquet wrote:

LOOK at the name of the product you are using. I bet your running windows onecare live and not windows live onecare.

Microsft wiill likely miiss this name change because it wll change agian befoor they fix it It has been that way foor the last six months . Oh by the way think both programs can scan your harddrive.

There is only one Windows Live OneCare program that is installed on the PC and is a subscription service. http://onecare.live.com

There is a free online scan also under the name of Windows Live OneCare, but it is referred to as the Safety Scan.

There is no Windows OneCare Live program.

-steve

Monday, December 24, 2007 5:06 PM
  • No, I am using the real thing and have used it for a couple years.  I am talking about Windows Live OneCare.  I like it very much with the exceptions noted in my original comment.  This is the product that can be purchased on line from MS or at deep discounts from such as OfficeMax, etc.  But thanks for your comments.

Monday, December 24, 2007 8:24 PM
  • Thanks JimR1.  Are you saying that Spybot and AdAware are not removing spyware when they detect and remove (what they label as infections) cookies?  Are not certain cookies in fact spyware?  If in fact they are spyware should not a comprehensive prorgam such as OneCare identify and remove them?  Being lazy I would like to have a single program get all the bad things and eliminate the need to run multiple clean ups on a repetitive basis. Even if cookie's level of badness is overstated, not removing them allows the number of cookies to quickly pile up and slow down the machine.

Tuesday, December 25, 2007 1:27 PM
  • Actually, what Spybot, AdAware and others are reporting and cleaning are indeed Tracking Cookies. They can be termed spyware, but they are not in and of themselves dangerous. Honestly, I don't know why OneCare (and Windows Defender) doesn't have settings to clean and manage these for us except that the settings for denying 3rd party cookies, or all cookies, for that matter, can be configured in your browser privacy settings. I would have expected OneCare and Defender to have settings for this, too, since the major competitors deal with these.

-steve

Tuesday, December 25, 2007 11:55 PM
  • Thanks Steve.  I was told in the original instalation of OneCare Beta to remove Defender before installing OneCare as it's role was included within OneCare.  But way back then Defender did not catch the things Spybot and AdAware did and still do. Until MS takes on this problem  it seems we must live with it, not that it is the end of the world.  I am hoping the new version of OneCare might hit on this---

Wednesday, December 26, 2007 12:22 AM
  • I agree that there should be an option whether to delete these or not, but they are not actually dangerous.

Actually, I've found that on occasion Adaware and Spybot go too far and delete cookies i actually wanted to keep!  Yikes!

Cookies aren't actualy malware.  They don't run on your system.  They don't pop up adds while you're using your computer, delete files, or consume CPU or memory.. they just take up a little disk space and are read by the website that created them when you return.  Unelss you disable cookies in your web browser (which can cause a load of other inconveniences), they will simply be re-created the next time you visit the site that created them in the first place.  If you never visit that site again, then having them on your computer is also pretty irrelevant since they will never again be accessed.

The programs that get rid of them often do it for the marketing hype.  Much as you are saying that you want OneCare to be "better", those programs can claim they are "better" and "find more stuff", even though those things are completely harmless.

Friday, January 4, 2008 9:35 PM
  • Hi's and Smile's

As one of the 1st general-public testers of OneCareLive I was advised to download and install Ad-Aware and SpyBlaster, and was even provided a choice of links to do so from the MS OneCare Installation Support pg.

Very happy with it. (them)  Smile

I jumped at the discounted price offered after a 1st yr. free gratuity following the Beta test yr.

(I was fairly active with feedback, I even received a free "OneCareLive" Team T-shirt)

Ad-Aware provides a fairly easy pick and choose method of removing different level threats with a description of each, ie:  mru lists that could conceivably be "hacked" if you didn't have an adequate Security program, or "cookies", or "activeX" that will automatically be installed your next 'visit' to a particular site. 

RELAX !  I  S**T - canned a paid Norton subscription with 8 mos. left in favor of OneCareLive with no regrets, and no frets.

Wednesday, January 23, 2008 5:37 AM
  •  RBob wrote:
    Thanks Steve.  I was told in the original instalation of OneCare Beta to remove Defender before installing OneCare as it's role was included within OneCare.  But way back then Defender did not catch the things Spybot and AdAware did and still do. Until MS takes on this problem  it seems we must live with it, not that it is the end of the world.  I am hoping the new version of OneCare might hit on this---

As another indication of why this isn't done, realize that tracking cookies perform their dirty work while you are browsing. So if you browse for a day and then 'clean' the cookies off your system they've still effectively tracked you during the time you were browsing up to the removal of the cookies.

For this reason the only effective way to stop tracking cookies is to block them in the first place, which is what you can do within the Internet Explorer Internet Options, Privacy Tab, Advanced button dialog. Unfortunately, OneCare 2.0 has a new default settings feature that resets this dialog to default, which effectively removes this ability. Obviously this separate issue needs to be fixed.

I've also been involved with Spybot Search and Destroy for several years now, so I'm quite aware of that programs abilities. In fact, the developer of Spybot S&D Patrick Kolla has considered removing cookie cleaning in the past, but has left it in simply because so many users belive it's needed. They have a FAQ entry specifically designed to deal with this question.

Why do other anti-spyware applications detect so many more tracking cookies?

OneCareBear

Wednesday, January 23, 2008 6:10 AM
  • omg are u joking ???   1) a mvp just told u were wrong and u still think your right.. i think MVP would know about the product as they work for MS duh..

also just cuz the name is switch around  its still the same product it made be a older version that the store hasnt sold but its still the same..

so u said officemax eh   well this is what i found at office max  http://www.officemax.com/omax/catalog/sku.jsp?skuId=21579926&searchString=onecare&displayBreadCrumb=null&_requestid=6655240

and then u said deep discounts since when did they start selling software

and if u go to

http://onecare.live.com/standard/en-us/onecare_default.htm?WT.srch=1

http://onecare.live.com

http://onecare.com

u will see the name "Windows Live OneCare" is even on the offlicemax page

its clearly you have no clue what your talking about and with that comment you have posted will have people confused

thinking they are running the wrong one... as i was just showed my friend your post she asked "am i runnning the right one" 

so recap  dont talk if u have no clue what your talking about and dont try to tell a MVP about ther products!

thanks

RBob wrote:
    No, I am using the real thing and have used it for a couple years.  I am talking about Windows Live OneCare.  I like it very much with the exceptions noted in my original comment.  This is the product that can be purchased on line from MS or at deep discounts from such as OfficeMax, etc.  But thanks for your comments.

Thursday, September 4, 2008 5:08 PM
  • i can't turn on my virus ans spyware monitoring please help

Friday, September 5, 2008 7:45 PM
  • Hello Juan, try the virus and spyware repair tool - http://forums.microsoft.com/WindowsOneCare/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=1695761&SiteID=2 If the repair tool does not resolve the issue please contact support. How to reach support - http://forums.microsoft.com/WindowsOneCare/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=2421771&SiteID=2

Friday, September 5, 2008 9:28 PM
  • I just updated my pc to windows xp and got instantly infected with 7 trojan viruses. onecare disposed 4 of them and quarinteed the other 3. but onecare says my pc is running good when its not and whenever I log on now my pc turns dark blue and says that my pc is infected with a virus and spyware. why doesn't onecare remove this? i am urged to update spyware. But what is onecare doing in the 90 day trial? not getting rid of spyware apparently. and my pc  is soooo slow its rediculous. can anyone help me? please?

Monday, September 8, 2008 9:01 PM
  •  Mcella wrote:

I just updated my pc to windows xp and got instantly infected with 7 trojan viruses. onecare disposed 4 of them and quarinteed the other 3. but onecare says my pc is running good when its not and whenever I log on now my pc turns dark blue and says that my pc is infected with a virus and spyware. why doesn't onecare remove this? i am urged to update spyware. But what is onecare doing in the 90 day trial? not getting rid of spyware apparently. and my pc  is soooo slow its rediculous. can anyone help me? please?

Since you are using Windows Live OneCare and you have been infected, but OneCare did not detect or cannot remove the malware, please contact support to report this and for help with removal.

How to reach support (FAQ) - http://forums.microsoft.com/WindowsOneCare/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=2421771&SiteID=2

Your PC has apparently been infected by a variant of the XP Antivirus 2008 malware, which is hard to prevent, detect, and remove.

If you are in North America, you can call 866-727-2338 for help with virus and spyware infections. See http://www.microsoft.com/protect/support/default.mspx  for details.  For international information, see your local subsidiary Support site.

-steve

Tuesday, September 9, 2008 4:54 PM
  • I agree whole-heartedly.

I’ve hade to do the same thing repeatedly. Not only that but One Care doesn’t seam to be able to block them as they return about every 3 days or so. Seems like One Care could take some lessons from Spy Bot search & Destroy.

I sure hope there are plans to improve on this situation. It doesn’t leave much in the way of confidence in the product and having to repeat this every other day is already old..

Wednesday, September 17, 2008 10:03 AM
  • I think you miss the point. The point is that each one of these processes takes better then a hour to run. Wouldn't it be nice to just wast an hour rather then two to remove thes items. As far as their not being harmful, while that may be true but the double clicks screw with the operation of things in general. I get tired of clicking on a button just to have it turned off again with the same click. Additionally if One Care doesn't remove spyware then it shouldn't suggest that it does.

Wednesday, September 17, 2008 10:24 AM