how to get the whs 2011software copied from one pc to another where the program was accidentally uninstalled RRS feed

• Question

• 1) the first problem is in the title

2) Before this happened I could not get either of my pc's to connect to the server. Always an "offline" message when using the launcher to get to the dashboard. I see this problem all over the place and have tried lots of "fixes" but none of them solve the problem. It's not a firewall issue. I can connect to my router 192.168.1.1 but can't get past that.

3) Can anyone help. I'm not a computer expert so please be simple.

Friday, July 11, 2014 10:56 AM

All replies

• 1. Do you mean you accidentally removed the Connector software? If so, when on the same network as your server, in a web browser (e.g. Internet Explorer) type <Your server name>/connect. If your server is online you can download the connector software.

2. If this is on your local network, then 1) above will not work! Have you ever been able to connect to the Server? Can you ping your server either by IP address or name? Can you log on locally and see if your network card is working?

3. Hopefully the above gives you some clues?

Phil P.S. If you find my comment helpful or if it answers your question, please mark it as such.

Friday, July 11, 2014 1:47 PM
  • thanks Phil...

Yes, i had been connected perfectly for over two years. Then it quit on 7/5. I don't know why.

I have pinged my server name and ip address without connecting.

Where would I find my network card and how should I diagnose it. I attached a monitor, keyboard and mouse directly to the server and I found a msg that was something like your network tools aren't found.

Good clues.

Ken...

Saturday, July 12, 2014 12:34 AM
  • What are the lights on your server network port doing? Try an ipconfig/all in a cmd prompt on the server and find out what its IP address is - is that what you expected?

Phil P.S. If you find my comment helpful or if it answers your question, please mark it as such.

Saturday, July 12, 2014 1:48 AM
  • Hi Phil...

1) 3 lights (l to R) steady blinking, pile of disks icon - blinks intermittentl, 3rd light is power: on green.

2) ip - yes, it's the router address. I've pinged it and I get "general failure" The same happens when I ping the server name.

3) when i click the dashboard icon it says: cannot retrieve the activation status. try again later.

Thanks for your interest and help

ken...

do you need the ip address?

Saturday, July 12, 2014 2:17 PM
  • Did you/can you login with the Remote Desktop client (launch it on the client PC, enter the server name as target machine, user name is yourservername\Adminstrator, password the WHS password) to the server directly?

Or is the server unreachable at all from each client PC in your network?

Self build machine or specific model? If the first, can you attach a monitor and see, if the operating system is up and running at all?

Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf

Monday, July 14, 2014 8:33 AM
  • Yes, post your internal Server, router and a Client IP addresses - there are no security problems quoting internal IP addresses.

Monday, July 14, 2014 11:17 AM