Clear statement needed here about how to update from a counterfeit version of XP RRS feed

• General discussion

• Folks,

I just spent a very long time on the phone today to a whole series of Microsoft support people on the Indian sub-continent trying to sort out how to update a counterfeit copy of XP on a client's PC to a genuine version that I had bought on the client's behalf.

By the time I had finished, the problem was resolved - without the need to overwrite or in any way harm the existing installation - but what I would really have preferred is to have been advised immediately how to solve the problem or, better, to have been able to carry out a  web search and discover the way forward.

I did tried the search but to no avail.

The whole process on the phone (because there was so many different people I spoke to) was so convoluted, though, that I'm not 100 per cent sure that I could sort out the problem easily, though I presume what I would do is use the KeyUpdateTool that can be downloaded from here:
    http://www.microsoft.com/genuine/selfhelp/pkuinstructions.aspx

I have read the sticky post in this forum that relates to this issue but it is rather, er, succinct.

So, pretty please, could someone from Microsoft make a clear (and sticky) statement here about how best to update from a counterfeit version of XP to a genuine version using, I presume, the KeyUpdateTool?

And, further, could Microsoft somehow make it possible to find this solution with a simple search on the web?

Okay, I used Google, not Microsoft's own search engine, but I was amazed that the search I carried out failed to locate the easy solution.

Thanks in anticipation.

Bob Crabtree

Tuesday, May 15, 2007 3:16 PM

All replies