none
Unable to start debugging on the web server - HipIISEngineStub.dll failed to load RRS feed

• Question

• When trying to debug from Visual Studio 2013, I get: "Unable to start debugging on the web server. Could not start ASP.NET debugging. More information maybe available by starting the project without debugging."

I checked the Application Pool, and it was stopped. It stops every time I try to debug or directly run this web application from the browser.

I looked in the Event Viewer and saw: "The Module DLL C:\windows\System32\inetsrv\HipIISEngineStub.dll failed to load.  The data is the error." This error is generously documented on the web with specific instructions on how to fix it.  The fix is to remove the "MfeEngine line" from the %windir%\system32\inetsrv\config\applicationHost.config.  Well, I do not have the "MfeEngine line" in my applicationHost.config file!

I recall having had this issue before a few times. When the MfeEngine entry was in the applicationHost.config, and I removed it, it resolved the issue fine. It is when the issue occurs, and I do not find a MfeEngine entry in the file; that's when I really had to reformat and reinstall Windows!!

I have gone through numerous posts related to this HipIISEngineStub.config with no avail. I then started going through all the Microsoft documentation on checking if my setup is properly configured to debug...that's a sea of information that I really do not have the luxury of time to go through - that's why in the past I just went ahead formatted and reinstalled Windows from scratch which is a silly way to fix the issue really.

So I still cannot debug my application. Any help or hints please as to why this HipIISEngineStub.dll is causing my Application Pool to crash and thus preventing me from debugging my application?

Has there been no one on this Planet who had not had this issue?

p.s. At the moment I'm reinstalling VS 2013 (Repair option) to see if this helps.
    Friday, January 26, 2018 2:57 PM

All replies

• Found a potential solution here.

And it seems more relate to IIS or McAfee Host Intrusion Prevention, you may post the issue there where you could get better support.

Your understanding and cooperation will be grateful.

Regards,

Fletcher

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

• Edited by Fletch Zhou Monday, January 29, 2018 8:49 AM
    • Proposed as answer by Fletch Zhou Thursday, February 1, 2018 9:37 AM
    Monday, January 29, 2018 8:49 AM