locked
WHS switches to TEMP Administrator account after .NET 2.0/3.0 updates RRS feed

  • Question

  • On March 4 I ran Microsoft Update on WHS, and installed two recommended .NET 2.0/3.0 updates for Server 2003 (KB976569 & KB976570).  After required reboot, I noticed that the WHS console no longer had access to a e-mail account that had been set up on the server.  I used RDC to log in as Administrator, and was surprised to see that all my settings had vanished, and WHS was creating a new user account.  In the directory structure, I could see that my new user was called TEMP and had full administrator privileges.  The old Administrator account appears to be there, but I can't access it.  When I log in as "Administrator" I wind up in "TEMP."  Anyone know what happened?  Can I recover, should I uninstall the updates, or should I just get used to my new identity?
    Friday, March 5, 2010 12:20 PM

Answers

  • Really, you shouldn't use Microsoft Update on your server. All the updates you need will be installed automatically if you set that option in the console; otherwise you can use the Update button in the console. Likewise, your server isn't designed to run desktop apps, even through the console (I assuming you're using the Outlook "add-in"?).

    None of that really explains the problem with the administrator account, however. Most likely what's happened is that the profile has become corrupted somehow (there are a lot of ways this could happen, unfortunately most can't be identified "after the fact"). Recovering from this may happen automatically (try rebooting your server a couple of times) or it may not. If it doesn't, the real answer for a desktop OS is to create a new user and copy everything from the old user to the new. (See this KB article for a procedure that's applicable to Windows XP.) I can't speak to whether or not this will be useful for your situation, since your server is intended to be headless and the administrator account is not quite the same as a normal user account.

    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    • Proposed as answer by kariya21Moderator Friday, March 5, 2010 10:04 PM
    • Marked as answer by JEBStuart Saturday, March 6, 2010 5:24 PM
    Friday, March 5, 2010 3:37 PM
    Moderator

All replies

  • Really, you shouldn't use Microsoft Update on your server. All the updates you need will be installed automatically if you set that option in the console; otherwise you can use the Update button in the console. Likewise, your server isn't designed to run desktop apps, even through the console (I assuming you're using the Outlook "add-in"?).

    None of that really explains the problem with the administrator account, however. Most likely what's happened is that the profile has become corrupted somehow (there are a lot of ways this could happen, unfortunately most can't be identified "after the fact"). Recovering from this may happen automatically (try rebooting your server a couple of times) or it may not. If it doesn't, the real answer for a desktop OS is to create a new user and copy everything from the old user to the new. (See this KB article for a procedure that's applicable to Windows XP.) I can't speak to whether or not this will be useful for your situation, since your server is intended to be headless and the administrator account is not quite the same as a normal user account.

    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    • Proposed as answer by kariya21Moderator Friday, March 5, 2010 10:04 PM
    • Marked as answer by JEBStuart Saturday, March 6, 2010 5:24 PM
    Friday, March 5, 2010 3:37 PM
    Moderator
  • The e-mail account had been set up on Outlook Express; part of an abandoned scheme to archive POP3 messages on the server.  So it really was just being used for a hardware-failure reporting function on the console.

    In any event, as you suggested, two reboots of the server fixed the problem!

    Saturday, March 6, 2010 5:27 PM