Conflicting edits RRS feed

• Question

• Synctoy 2.0 had a behavior where if the files on both the left and right side of the sync were modified, only the most recent change would be kept ("last writer wins") with no warning or practical method to recover the lost changes.

Is there any change in Synctoy 2.1 that improves this behavior?  Ideally, it would be nice if a warning was generated and the "older edit" was preserved somewhere for manual reconciliation.

I know I can test this, but I hope someone can save me the work!
    Friday, February 19, 2010 4:33 PM

Answers

• No, there is no such warning support in SyncToy 2.1 either. Both synctoy 2.0 and 2.1 use the same logic to deal with conflict, only the most recent change would be kept without warning. But if you want to recover the lost change just after you did the sync, you can find it at recycle bin.

Another point you may need to pay attention is, for folder pairs with Echo action, only left side changes will be kept, even though right side made the latest changes. This is an update feature in SyncToy 2.1.

Thanks,
    Ping 

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    Saturday, February 20, 2010 7:43 AM

All replies

• No, there is no such warning support in SyncToy 2.1 either. Both synctoy 2.0 and 2.1 use the same logic to deal with conflict, only the most recent change would be kept without warning. But if you want to recover the lost change just after you did the sync, you can find it at recycle bin.

Another point you may need to pay attention is, for folder pairs with Echo action, only left side changes will be kept, even though right side made the latest changes. This is an update feature in SyncToy 2.1.

Thanks,
    Ping 

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    Saturday, February 20, 2010 7:43 AM
  • Hi Ping,

Thanks so much for the informative answer and the heads up on the echo action - I really appreciate it.  Let me put in a vote for a more flexible conflict resolution mechanism in the future - in my application of Synctoy, there is a real risk of conflicting edits, and it would be great to have either a dialog box to prompt for which one should be retained, or for the lost change to be filed away somewhere (NOT the recycle bin) where it can be easily identified recovered.

Thanks again!
    Saturday, February 20, 2010 3:32 PM