Update deleted all my computer information RRS feed

• Question

• I came home from work and my PC was on the login page. I assumed there was an update, and when I logged in with my computer's password, I saw a message that said I didn't have an account and I was being logged in as a guest.  My entire desktop was changed, I lost the background and several of my desktop icons.  The ones that were left were in a completely different order.  My home page was changed and none of my favorites on the tool bar were saved on my computer any more.  I have never had an update take away all my personal information.  My documents are no longer in my documents folder.  Any folder I had is gone.  How do I uninstall what ever update this is (that says it occurred at 3am and it also shows 3 "critical" updates that last 2 days) and how do I get my computer back to where it was before this happened?
    Thursday, July 16, 2015 11:52 PM

All replies

• "Your PC" ... this indicates, that you are not talking about Windows Home Server and hence your posting is off topic here in the Windows Home Server forum.

Seems your PC has assigned you a new user profile ... sometimes this is simply solved by rebooting, sometimes there is more corrupted and you should backup your data and reinstall the OS. Rarely it is really caused by an update, more often you will see such effects due to broken hardware, a crash damaging parts of the registry or malware.

Depending from the operating system, which you did not mention in your posting, there may be ways back, like using System Restore in Windows 7.

Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf

Wednesday, July 22, 2015 12:50 PM