none
Trouble with Mac with WHS (Media Smart EX485) updated RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,
    HP Media Smart has successfully installed on my HP desktop.  Did an entire backup.  All is working fine so far - except adding the Mac.  I've read the white paper on this and have done everything right.  WHS doesn't go any farther when I attempt to enter the server name.  I entered the server name and password exactly, and it says Validation Error.  WP says to try again.  I do.  WP says to enter the storage.  It's there, and doesn't allow me to click.  Can't get any farther.

What is happening here?  If there are any Mac gurus, please weight in on this!
    • Edited by Al S Thursday, April 9, 2009 2:32 PM
    Thursday, April 9, 2009 2:19 PM

All replies

• On Time Machine, the problems are these, so far:  I entered the server name and password exactly, and it says Validation Error.  WP says to try again.  I do.  WP says to enter the storage.  It remains gray, and doesn't allow me to click.  Can't get any farther.
    I suspect you need to enter a user name on your server, rather than the server name, and the password for that user.
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Thursday, April 9, 2009 2:30 PM
  • Thanks, Ken.  It's asking for the server name.  Argh!  Frustrating.
    Thursday, April 9, 2009 6:01 PM
  • Okay, so you are at step 8 on page 113 of the manual that HP has available for download?

I wonder if there's something unusual about your network configuration? Can you open a command prompt and try to "ping" your server by name? Then try to "ping" it by IP address?

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Thursday, April 9, 2009 7:36 PM