Upgrade from Trial Version RRS feed

• Question

• I had to upgrade from the 120 day trial version to the "real" version recently. Not only did I loose all of my installed programs during this process, which I find to be inexcusable, but now two programs that worked on the trial version do not work at all on the live version.

First, I have a Lorex video capture card for my home security system. The software, VistaPro4 was working fine but now terminates when I try to load it. The event log tells me that the exception generated was c0000005 at address 0043C58B. From the research I did it looks like an unhandled exception. Of course that does not narrow down the cause at all. I have updated the driver and software to the latest versions, but no change.

The event properties window states that the source was from Dr. Watson, but when I tried to do a search for a Dr Watson log, the search button does not work in the explorer window and there is no search on the start menu.

The second program that does not work is a program called Heavy Weather that is used to monitor a La Crosse weather station. It also terminates with a c0000005 exception but does not generate an event log.

Any help would be appreciated in solving this crisis. I have been a strong supporter of WHS up until I was forced to upgrade.

Thanks,

Steve

Saturday, August 23, 2008 8:23 PM

Answers

• Steve, the reinstallation is a requirement because the "time bomb" in the evaluation software is wired into the operating system. There is no way to deactivate it; you have to reinstall the OS to get rid of it.

Regarding the software you're having trouble with: is it possible that Windows Server 2003 (the base OS for Windows Home Server) just isn't supported? I checked and don't see Windows Server 2003 support listed for VistaPro4 (though I do see Windows XP, which usually means Windows Server 2003 support as well); I don't see any system requirements for Heavy Weather so I can't tell you anything there. I note that you've had problems installing the video capture card in the past; how did you solve your problems then? Doesn't the same approach work now?

Anyway, the best place to get assistance with third party software and hardware products is pretty much always going to be the manufacturer or publisher. They know their products better than anyone here.
    Sunday, August 24, 2008 12:57 PM

All replies

• Hi Steve,

unfortunately Windows Home Server is not meaned as application server, only as a machine for backup, file sharing, remote access.

And it has also stated often enough, that a Server reinstallation is the only way to upgrade the trial or to to repair issues. (I also don't like it, but thats life.)

So if you want or need more, you still will have to buy one of the other server versions.

The issues you describe for your applications could be issues with the video card drivers.

Did the applications run on a trial version with all patches and Power Pack 1 installed?

If yes, there is no reason besides custom applications, drivers, configurations for the programs not to work after the reinstall, if the applications did work before.

Best greetings from Germany

Olaf

Saturday, August 23, 2008 11:20 PM
  • Steve, the reinstallation is a requirement because the "time bomb" in the evaluation software is wired into the operating system. There is no way to deactivate it; you have to reinstall the OS to get rid of it.

Regarding the software you're having trouble with: is it possible that Windows Server 2003 (the base OS for Windows Home Server) just isn't supported? I checked and don't see Windows Server 2003 support listed for VistaPro4 (though I do see Windows XP, which usually means Windows Server 2003 support as well); I don't see any system requirements for Heavy Weather so I can't tell you anything there. I note that you've had problems installing the video capture card in the past; how did you solve your problems then? Doesn't the same approach work now?

Anyway, the best place to get assistance with third party software and hardware products is pretty much always going to be the manufacturer or publisher. They know their products better than anyone here.
    Sunday, August 24, 2008 12:57 PM
  • Hi Olaf,

Thanks for the prompt reply.

I took your advice and reinstalled the video drivers. It looks like that did solve the problem with VistaPro.

I am still having issues with HeavyWeather.

Is there a way to remove Power Pack 1?

Thanks,

Steve

Sunday, August 24, 2008 2:42 PM
  • Hi Steve,

you can remove Power Pack 1 via Control Panal - Add/Remove Programs.

But it is not recommended to do so, because some serious bugs, which contain also the possibility for data loss on shared folders, have been fixed with it.

Best greetings from Germany

Olaf

Sunday, August 24, 2008 2:47 PM
  • Hi Ken,

I was able to get the VistaPro4 software working, but am still unable to get HeavyWeather to work.

I will contact the company on Monday to see what their recommendation is.

I do not understand why the "time bomb" requires a full reinstall, but in any case it seems to me that there must be a better way to preserve the programs that have been installed.

Thanks for the help.

Steve
    Sunday, August 24, 2008 2:54 PM
  • The time bomb is built into the base operating system (not Windows Home Server, which is a set of components that sit on top) as a measure to prevent people from obtaining an evaluation copy of a Microsoft operating system, using a key generator, and thereby obtaining a fully functional version effectively for free. I think the measure is of limited usefulness myself (I know Windows Home Server is likely available as a torrent somewhere), but that's why it's there. It's pretty much impossible to circumvent, and very annoying if you put an evaluation server into production, except that there is a term in the EULA for Microsoft evaluation software that prohibits the use of the software in a production environment.

I wish I could help you with Heavy Weather; I don't have/use a home weather station though.
    Sunday, August 24, 2008 9:29 PM
  • Hi Steve,

I am very curious because I have the same problem with HeavyWeather. Did you manage to solve the problem?

Kind Regards,

Stefan
    Wednesday, January 7, 2009 8:28 AM