none
WGA executables marked with a subsystem version of 5.1, which mean it cannot execute on Windows 2000 RRS feed

• Question

• I just had to do WGA validation on a Windows 2000 computer, and I found out that WGA executables are marked with a subsystem version of 5.1, which mean it cannot execute on Windows 2000. I will try to patch it using editbin, but it should be still be fixed.
    Friday, June 26, 2009 7:02 PM

Answers

• It may automatically pass, but I still have to do the validation, and that is where the problem is. To do the validation, I have to install a plug-in or run a program to do manual validation, and the programs to do both are marked with a subsystem version of 5.1, which means that it won't work on 2000 without hacking the subsystem version using editbin. If you don't believe me you should actually try WGA validation on 2000.
    Friday, June 26, 2009 11:04 PM

All replies

• Hello Yuhong Bao,

Windows 2000 is not supported by WGA Validation.  Any site that requires WGA Validation will automaticly pass Windows 2000 (or any other pre-XP version of Windows).

Thank you,
    Darin MS 
    • Marked as answer by Darin Smith MS Friday, June 26, 2009 10:02 PM
    • Unmarked as answer by Yuhong Bao Friday, June 26, 2009 11:04 PM
    Friday, June 26, 2009 10:01 PM
  • It may automatically pass, but I still have to do the validation, and that is where the problem is. To do the validation, I have to install a plug-in or run a program to do manual validation, and the programs to do both are marked with a subsystem version of 5.1, which means that it won't work on 2000 without hacking the subsystem version using editbin. If you don't believe me you should actually try WGA validation on 2000.
    Friday, June 26, 2009 11:04 PM
  • Hi Yuhong Bao,

I'm having my test team look into this, but they have asked if you would run the MGA Diagnostic Tool http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=52012.  Click the Continue button then click Copy and then Paste the Diagnostic Report into this Thread.

Would you also tell me the highest Service Packs (1-4) you have installed as well as what Browser you use and what version it is.

Thank you,
    Darin MS
    Tuesday, June 30, 2009 4:01 PM
  • Unfortunately MGA Diagnosic Tool don't work on Win2000 either due to the same subsystem version problem.
    I am running Windows 2000 SP4, and I was trying WGA validation using Firefox 3.0.
    Tuesday, June 30, 2009 5:32 PM
  • Hello Yuhong Bao,

Sorry for not updating you sooner.  

Our test team was able to reproduce the issue and the Dev team thinks that a new compiler, that's now being used, may have defaulted to the 5.1 Subsystem version.

If the fix hasn't been pushed out already, then it will be very soon.

Thank you for taking the time to inform us of the problem!

Darin MS
    Tuesday, July 7, 2009 6:19 PM
  • Well, I tried downloading and running both the WGA Firefox plug-in and GenuineCheck.exe on 2000 and it still isn't fixed, but after patching the subsystem version it runs fine.
    Even worse, MGA Diagnostics Tool not only have the subsystem version set to 5.1, but depends on the GetModuleHandleExW function which isn't available on Windows 2000.
    On the good news, MDAC 2.8 SP1 no longer require WGA validation, so I can now download it on 2000.
    So when will the fix be released?
    Thursday, July 9, 2009 4:37 AM