The WHS folder 'Software\Home Server Connector Software\WindowsInstaller31' is empty. RRS feed

• Question

• For some time, I've been unable to connect to my HP MediaSmart 490.  I can access the files from my client computers.  I ran the Connector Troubleshooter and found that the version of the Connector software does not match the version of WHS.  The computer uses version 6.0.3436.0 and WHS uses 6.0.2423.0

I tried installing the Connector from the Software shared folder.  But, the folder's empty.  I downloaded the .iso file for the Connector, burned it to a CD and tried installing; but, it just tries to access the WHS Software folder.

I need the Connector software.  Where do I get it?

Thanks.

Tuesday, May 5, 2015 2:27 AM

Answers

• Should I be able to connect to WHS with MS Remote Desktop Connection?

You should not do it, but you would be able to do it by using account Administrator and the console password.

For the connector folder - download the linked zipfile (file will be removed later), unblock it if necessary (via right click/properties), extract it and copy the structure into the Software share.

Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf

Wednesday, May 13, 2015 2:38 PM

All replies

• I think the version numbers are fine.

Windows Home Server Konsole: 6.0.2423.0
    Windows Home Server Sichern und Wiederherstellen: 6.0.2423.0
    Windows Home Server Laufwerkextender: 6.0.2423.0
    Windows Home Server Remotezugriff: 6.0.3436.0
    Windows Home Server Speicher-Manager: 6.0.3039.0

from mine.

Which error do you experience and which error message do you get? Usually WHS Connector software is stored on \\Servername\Software\Home Server Connector Software. If it is empty, you can try to get a copy from some other trusted user for the proper language version of WHS or install WHS to a virtual machine, run all Windows Updates and get the folder content from that (which might be a bit harder with OEM version). Or run the Windows Home Server recovery procedure as described in the manual, which would be the regular way.

Olaf

Tuesday, May 12, 2015 2:51 PM
  • Thanks for the reply, Olaf.

The folder \\Servername\Software\Home Server Connector Software is empty.  I have no way to reinstall WHS or to run the WHS recovery procedure.  I would be pleased to get a copy the folders content from some user.  I'm in the US and using the English language version.  The version I need is 6.0.2423.0.  Hopefully, someone that has this version of the English WHS server will be able to send me the content of the folder content.

Thanks again, Olaf.

Tuesday, May 12, 2015 3:18 PM
  • Olaf, I have another question.  Should I be able to connect to WHS with MS Remote Desktop Connection?
    Tuesday, May 12, 2015 3:28 PM
  • Should I be able to connect to WHS with MS Remote Desktop Connection?

You should not do it, but you would be able to do it by using account Administrator and the console password.

For the connector folder - download the linked zipfile (file will be removed later), unblock it if necessary (via right click/properties), extract it and copy the structure into the Software share.

Olaf

Wednesday, May 13, 2015 2:38 PM
  • Thanks for the zip file.  I extracted the files to \\hpstorage\Software\Home Server Connector Software.

I verifed that each of the .exe and .dll files in the \\hpstorage\Software\Home Server Connector Software were version 6.0.2423.0.

I uninstalled WHS Connector, WHS Toolkit, and HP MediaSmart Server. 

Then I deleted the ...\Program Files\Windows Home Server Folder.

I ran a registry cleaner -- twice.

And, rebooted.

Ran WHSConnectorInstall.exe from the MS .iso file (also version 6.0.2423.0) which Installed HP MediaSmart Server 3.0 Update 1 and then Windows Home Server Connector.

After this, all of the .exe and .dll files in the \\...\Software\Windows Home Server Connector Software are version 6.0.3436.0.  And, when I launch WHSConsoleClient.exe I get the same protocol mismatch error message.

It seems that I have an HP MediaSmart Server boat anchor.

Olaf, I really do appreciate your help.  Thanks a bunch.

Friday, May 15, 2015 3:36 AM
  • Why don't you run setup.exe directly from the network share?

After restoring the Home Server Connector Folder, did you reboot the server?

What is the exact error you get, and in which stage?

Operating system on the client is? 32 or 64 Bit?

Olaf

Wednesday, May 20, 2015 7:33 AM
  • Hello again, Olaf.

It's been a really busy summer.  We've been remodeling our home, hosting grandchildren for a month, and travelling internationally.  I finally got back to this project.

I did as you suggested -- uninstalled 'HP MediaSmart Server 3.0 Update 1' and 'Windows Home Server Connector' on the windows XP computer, re-booted XP, ran setup.exe directly from the server, re-booted the XP computer (32-bit).  Then, I tried to connect to the server.  I got the same error as before, from the event log...

"Windows Home Server protocol mismatch.  This computer uses protol version 6.0.3436.0, but partner computer HPSTTORAGE uses protocol version 6.0.2423.0.  A connection cannot be established."

I ordered the vovTech board that allows me to connect a monitor, keyboard, and mouse to the MediaSmart EX490.  I've installed it and I am able to logon and start the Windows Home Server Console directly on the server.  Everything seems normal and as expected; except...

When I attempt to access a backup and restore a file I get the following message:

"You must open a backup from the Windows Home Server Console running on a home computer."

I'm hopeful that I'll be able to work around this somehow.  Your assistance is greatly appreciated.

Friday, August 21, 2015 3:20 PM
  • Here's an update...

I restored an old notebook computer to is factory settings -- XP.  I installed the Window's Connector software and I'm now able to run the Windows Home Server Connector software.  Since I don't really need this notebook for anything else, I suppose it's a circumvention of the problem.

Monday, August 24, 2015 3:58 AM
  • The saga continues...

Connecting from the restored, factory fresh Windows XP has ceased working!  I now get the protocol mismatch error.

Friday, August 28, 2015 6:06 PM
  • Well, does it connect to the proper machine? Eventually you have stored a name to IP address association in the hosts file ... or the system attempts to connect to a machine outside of your home network due to name resolution issues caused by a DNS suffix set by your ISP, as described in the FAQ How to Troubleshoot Network Connection Problems with Windows Home Server.

What would be the output of ipconfig /all on the client and on the server?

Olaf

Tuesday, September 8, 2015 1:56 PM
  • I just unzipped the WHS Connector 6.0.2433.0 file as per Olaf, installed it on my new Windows 10 client and resolved the error I had when first attempting to connect to my WHS (original version) server.  The error said there was a new version of the Connect software available (6.0.2423.0) but the update was unable to find the file.  Obviously the version I had on my server was outdated and not available on the Microsoft site. 

So long story short, this works thanks to Olaf...

Cheers!

Lee (from Canada)

Friday, February 28, 2020 7:19 AM