Excel documents RRS feed

• Question

• I have a computer that is running Windows 7, a server that is running the latest WHS, and I am using Office 2010.  I was wondering if it was a bad idea to be working with Excel on my computer, open up a excel file I have saved on my server in my shared folder, do whatever changes to the document and then save it back onto the server?  Or should I copy the file over to my computer, open it up, edit it in whatever way, save it onto the computer and then copy it back to my shared folder on the server?

Wednesday, September 1, 2010 9:01 PM

All replies

• Whichever you prefer should work.
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Wednesday, September 1, 2010 11:10 PM
  •  On 9/1/2010 4:01 PM, alpineaudio wrote:

I have a computer that is running Windows 7, a server that is running the latest WHS, and I am using Office 2010.  I was wondering if it was a bad idea to be working with Excel on my computer, open up a excel file I have saved on my server in my shared folder, do whatever changes to the document and then save it back onto the server?  Or should I copy the file over to my computer, open it up, edit it in whatever way, save it onto the computer and then copy it back to my shared folder on the server?

As Ken mentioned whichever you prefer will work.  I have my excel documents that monitor my stocks and income on my server, and I access them from my Windows 7 Computer.

The plus side is, you can access them from any computer anywhere (as long as you can remote into the server).  The downside is, if you have any network issues, you won't be able to access them at all.  For me, the plus outweighs the minus.

Have a great day:)
    Patrick.
     -- Smile... Someone out there cares deeply for you.
    Have you updated today?
    http://update.microsoft.com

Smile.. Someone out there cares deeply for you.
    Thursday, September 2, 2010 3:20 PM