Configuring Custom Calendars for Individual Resources in 2010 RRS feed

• Question

• In a Project 2010 Server trial environment. I have pre-set enterprise calendars for the US and Canada (that the resources are tied to), but now I need to add additional vacation time for specific resources. This was easy to do in (there was the option for tools, enterprise, check out enterprise resource pool).

I don't seem to be able to do this in 2010, if I go to Resource, Resource Pool, Enterprise Resource Pool, it opens up a PWA window showing my resource in Project Server, and I can edit them, but I cannot see any specific options for changing an individual resource calendar.

I noticed I have not set up administrative time in the server yet - do I need to do that first?

Arghh..(sorry, just having a frustrating day today - this is probably an incredibly easy thing to do, and I am just missing it).

Byron.

Tuesday, December 7, 2010 6:56 PM

Answers

• Byron --

On the Resource Center page in PWA, select the checkboxes for the resources whose calendar you want to edit to include vacation time.  Click the Open button in the Editing section of the Resources ribbon.  The system will launch Project Professional 2010 and open the Enterprise Resource Pool with the selected resources open in editing mode.  Double-click any of the resources and then click the Change Working Time button in the Resource Information dialog, and then add the nonworking time to the resource’s calendar.  Hope this helps.

Dale A. Howard [MVP]
    VP of Educational Services
    msProjectExperts
    http://www.msprojectexperts.com
    http://www.projectserverexperts.com
    "We write the books on Project Server"

Wednesday, December 8, 2010 12:43 AM
  • Okay, so I am running the same versions of software at home as I am at work. And I already ran a repair again yesterday at work, so now it is time to look at another thread where someone was posting possible solutions for this type of problem ""Project cannot recognize this file format. Do you want to open this file as text only"." - I think I should close this thread and open a new one specifically related to this error message.

It has caused different type of errors for me, but I am still not sure of the root cause of this.

Byron.

• Marked as answer by bjcsoln Wednesday, December 8, 2010 4:04 PM
    Wednesday, December 8, 2010 4:03 PM

All replies

• Byron --

On the Resource Center page in PWA, select the checkboxes for the resources whose calendar you want to edit to include vacation time.  Click the Open button in the Editing section of the Resources ribbon.  The system will launch Project Professional 2010 and open the Enterprise Resource Pool with the selected resources open in editing mode.  Double-click any of the resources and then click the Change Working Time button in the Resource Information dialog, and then add the nonworking time to the resource’s calendar.  Hope this helps.

Dale A. Howard [MVP]
    VP of Educational Services
    msProjectExperts
    http://www.msprojectexperts.com
    http://www.projectserverexperts.com
    "We write the books on Project Server"

Wednesday, December 8, 2010 12:43 AM
  • Ahhh, so it is the same then.

I have been having this strange problem with my trial installation - anytime PWA trials to make enterprise resource changes (like the one you suggested above), it flips over to Microsoft Project, and a dialog box comes up in project saying "Project cannot recognize this file format. Do you want to open this file as text only".

I had this same problem before when I was using IE9 (which has documented issues with Server 2010) - looks like this issue has cropped up again. To fix it the last time, I downgraded to IE8, and then also ran a repair on MS Project (as per someone's suggestion). Maybe I will try that again.

I will let you know how it goes.

Wednesday, December 8, 2010 1:08 AM
  • It is confirmed - I am having compatibility errors again with Project Server and IE. I went home, and was able to open the enterprise resource pool (to edit it) from the PWA resource center.

The only environmental difference I can think of between home and work is at home, I have to VPN in to IE, and when I access the server using Project Pro.

I guess I can check the versions of IE at home (IE8: 8.0.7600.16385) and the one at work.
    MS Project Version (at home): 14.0.4760.1000 and the one at work.

I will check out what I am running at work tomorrow. Christ, I can't believe I spent the whole day working on trying to figure this out...

$#%#@

Wednesday, December 8, 2010 3:58 AM
  • Okay, so I am running the same versions of software at home as I am at work. And I already ran a repair again yesterday at work, so now it is time to look at another thread where someone was posting possible solutions for this type of problem ""Project cannot recognize this file format. Do you want to open this file as text only"." - I think I should close this thread and open a new one specifically related to this error message.

It has caused different type of errors for me, but I am still not sure of the root cause of this.

Byron.

• Marked as answer by bjcsoln Wednesday, December 8, 2010 4:04 PM
    Wednesday, December 8, 2010 4:03 PM