Extra training resources/third party training RRS feed

• Question

• I had been using these videos for some time which are really excellent, but I am not sure they are free now (they were, I believe, on the Microsoft site):

http://www.learnvisualstudio.net/series/getting_started_with_sql_server_2005_express_edition/

I've noticed that there are many training providers; learning tree etc. all offering different training systems.

The problem with going into 70-433 with a novice knowledge of SQL Server is that the exam is set up for people with at least two years experience.

I personally made leaps and bounds using the above videos, stopping and starting them together with SQL Server 2005. So I am wondering if there is anything else out there that someone could recommend which is a similar and relatively comprehensive introduction for 2008/2008R2, or another training method (not books) that comes to mind?

• Edited by meridius10 Friday, December 30, 2011 2:56 PM
    Friday, December 30, 2011 2:53 PM

Answers

• Open up Google and type in Free SQL Server 2008 training and you'll be surprised at what you might find
    Jeff Wharton
    MSysDev (C.Sturt), MDbDsgnMgt (C.Sturt), MCT, MCPD, MCITP, MCDBA
    Blog: Mr. Wharty's Ramblings
    MC ID: Microsoft Transcript

Please mark answered if I've answered your question and vote for it as helpful to help other user's find a solution quicker
    • Marked as answer by meridius10 Sunday, January 1, 2012 11:27 PM
    Sunday, January 1, 2012 10:42 AM

All replies

• Trainsignal, TestOut and CBT Nuggets all offer some excellent training videos.  They're not free, but the depth of their training is excellent.
    • Proposed as answer by Anant Patil Saturday, December 31, 2011 8:07 AM
    Friday, December 30, 2011 3:58 PM
    Answerer
  • Check below free Test Exams.

www.examcollection.com/microsoft_exams.html

Friday, December 30, 2011 7:36 PM
  • I've had a look at CBT Nuggets in the past and have to say that I found their SQL Server videos were full of mistakes.
    Jeff Wharton

Please mark answered if I've answered your question and vote for it as helpful to help other user's find a solution quicker
    Friday, December 30, 2011 11:18 PM
  • How about some free stuff? What about those videos I mentioned above which were a life saver in terms of beginning to understand what SQL Server is about? I am not sure I would have made the same progress without them.

Did Microsoft not do some similar ones for 2008 and why were the 2005 ones removed if there was no viable replacement?

Sunday, January 1, 2012 10:32 AM
  • Open up Google and type in Free SQL Server 2008 training and you'll be surprised at what you might find
    Jeff Wharton

• Marked as answer by meridius10 Sunday, January 1, 2012 11:27 PM
    Sunday, January 1, 2012 10:42 AM
  • Thanks - sometimes one can forget to do the most obvious things...

BTW - do you know anything about learning tree or know of anyone that used them? They had a special offer which expired at the end of last year and I was wondering how good they are in the industry?

Sunday, January 1, 2012 11:00 AM
  • Sorry I haven't heard of them.

I also forgot to provide a link to my blog where I have details of some free SQL Server Developer Training Kits which will help you with 70-433

http://blog.wharton.com.au/category/sql-server/training/

Jeff Wharton

Sunday, January 1, 2012 11:03 AM
  • Many Thanks again. I will take a look at your link and do my best to learn and prepare for taking the exam at some point in the future when I am ready...
    Sunday, January 1, 2012 11:27 PM