Question about a single AD domain, single SIP domain, and multiple pools (LCS and OCS) RRS feed

• Question

•  

Hello all, thanks in advance for any help.

I am currently building a test lab trying to prepare for an upgrade I am going to be doing very soon. We have a single AD domain, single SIP domain, and are running LCS 05 SD. We are going to be upgrading to OCS. I have built my lab exactly like this with a domain called ocs.test (SIP is the same) hosted on an LCS pool. I built another server and installed OCS in a new pool and created a few test users on it with the same SIP domain.

Problem is that users on LCS pool cannot talk to users on OCS pool and vise versa. Cannot sent messages or see presence information. I see events in the log that say that the user replicator is functioning but what do I have to do to get the two pools to communicate? Any pointers would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Mark

Sunday, November 25, 2007 5:43 PM

Answers

•  

Turned out to be a problem on the LCS side. When I first installed OCS the service would not start after I installed the certificates so I disabled MTLS. Seeing in the posts above that MTLS is required for server to server communication I had to fix the problem. I had to blow away my LCS box and rebuild because I was getting a version error in the event log. The log was saying that some roles were running standard and some enterprise. This test server had LCS on it before and was just uninstalled and reinstalled so I am sure that was the problem. All is working now. Thanks for the suggestions.

Mark

Wednesday, November 28, 2007 5:10 PM

All replies

• For starters have you installed the 2 hotfixes that are given in the migration doc.  They are on like page 2 or 3 and are required for LCS to communicate with OCS.  The hotfixes have to be applied in a particular order so make sure you check that first.  If you need more info, please let me know.  Also let me know if you have done this already.

Monday, November 26, 2007 3:52 AM
  •  

Thanks for the information. I did NOT have the patches installed but I did install them and am getting the same result. I still cannot IM or get presence info between the pools. Is there something that must be done to configure each one of the pools to be aware of each other?
    Monday, November 26, 2007 11:48 AM
  • Hi there,

Did you see this thread: http://forums.microsoft.com/OCS2007/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=1646092&SiteID=57

If you are running OCS enterprise and have only a single front-end server with one NIC, you may have some troubles like you are describing.

Regards,

Matt

Monday, November 26, 2007 9:02 PM
  • Thanks for the info but the article above just explains to install the two patches that are in the migration document which I have applied both. Can you please verify the link you sent is correct. I am going to do some searching for it as well. Is a front end server required in this situation? I cannot find any good information about this scenario in any of the MS published docs.

Thanks!!

Mark

Monday, November 26, 2007 10:08 PM
  • Hmmm, sorry about that. Must have pasted in the wrong link. You can try this one:

http://forums.microsoft.com/unifiedcommunications/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=2077423&SiteID=57

Here is the relevant text:

I just resolved this issue with help from PSS. The trick is that I have deployed OCS enterprise with only 1 front end server and no hardware load balancer. As it turns out, you are supposed to have a hardware loadbalancer even if you only have 1 frontend server in the pool.

To work around the issue, (not officially supported - you still _should_ use the hardware loadbalancer) you need to do the following:

1) add a second IP address to your OCS FrontEnd server

2) change the DNS entry for your ocspool to resolve to the front end servers new (secondary) IP address

3) do an ipconfig /flushdns on your OCS and LCS servers

4) restart the OCS front end services

5) have LCS users log on of MOC 2005 and log back in

Presence started flowing immediately. PSS was a big help. They said that they've had a few calls like this & the resolution has been the same. He also stressed that the only supported solution is to use a hardware load balancer.

For my situation, though, this definitely fixed it once and for all.

Regards,

Matt

Monday, November 26, 2007 10:14 PM
  •  

Turned out to be a problem on the LCS side. When I first installed OCS the service would not start after I installed the certificates so I disabled MTLS. Seeing in the posts above that MTLS is required for server to server communication I had to fix the problem. I had to blow away my LCS box and rebuild because I was getting a version error in the event log. The log was saying that some roles were running standard and some enterprise. This test server had LCS on it before and was just uninstalled and reinstalled so I am sure that was the problem. All is working now. Thanks for the suggestions.

Mark

Wednesday, November 28, 2007 5:10 PM