none
MSFT CSG guys marking incorrect answer. RRS feed

• General discussion

• Hi,

I know probably this has been discussed many times but I am posting this because this has to change and MS forum owners need to discuss this.

Please see this Thread. The thread started with person who wanted to learn some topic related to SQL Server memory in deep and understand its behavior. Now MSFT CSG guy went ahead an marked an answer which was not related to question and marked it just because OP found out something which was not actually the answer.

1. He(CSG guy) did not even cased to ask OP whether it is solution he wanted.

2. If you read the thread its still open and OP needs to post some information so that it can be confirmed whether memory pressure is there or not. So whats need of marking answer then ?

3 WHY are guys in so hurry to close thread by marking answer IS THIS A RULE ?

3. Did comments we posted are not what OP wanted ?

If CSG guys have to mark answer of there own or whatever they like why should we even care to answer any thread. Is this not wastage of our efforts. Where is the term community here if certain group of people have right to do whatever they want.

Is MS going to take any corrective action ?

Please mark this reply as answer if it solved your issue or vote as helpful if it helped so that other forum members can benefit from it

My Technet Wiki Article

MVP

• Edited by Shanky_621MVP Wednesday, April 1, 2015 4:40 PM
    • Changed type Shanky_621MVP Saturday, July 2, 2016 6:42 AM Better suited as discussion
    Wednesday, April 1, 2015 4:33 PM

All replies

• The following is my opinion:

I feel that the MSFT CSG people are more interested in marking threads as "Answered" than any other consideration including whether or not an actual answer was provided.  I have had threads that I myself asked marked as answer when the only reply was from someone who had a long history of obfuscating and taking topics off on extreme tangents to the point where they were banned from some areas.  I unmarked the thread as answered and noted that it was NOT appropriate to mark as such but no reply from anyone was ever forthcoming.

Please do not read this sentence. Please ignore the previous sentence.

Wednesday, April 1, 2015 6:00 PM
  • You can go ahead and submit this as an issue for the forums team to look into.

The issue you'd submit is the CSG's behavior. If that's the issue, that needs to get flagged.

If so, please email "fissues" at Microsoft to report the behavior.

Thanks!

Ed Price, Azure Development Customer Program Manager (Blog, Small Basic, Wiki Ninjas, Wiki)

Answer an interesting question? Create a wiki article about it!

Wednesday, June 15, 2016 10:45 PM
    Owner
  • Ed,

Did you just cut and paste your reply without actually reading the question and then just marked it as an answer? How does your reply answer Shanky's concern? I'd say Kamin's answer is more to the point.

For every expert, there is an equal and opposite expert. - Becker's Law

My blog

My TechNet articles

Thursday, June 16, 2016 3:41 AM
  • Plus this policy change should come from Microsoft. They still continue this behavior. Plus what they think that the answer they have posted is the "correct" one and others are just blabbering about.

Unfortunately many a times they just mark answer for sake of marking it. And OP is really not satisfied with solution. They even dont ask whether the information was helpful or not.

Cheers,

Shashank

Please mark this reply as answer if it solved your issue or vote as helpful if it helped so that other forum members can benefit from it

My TechNet Wiki Articles

MVP

Thursday, June 16, 2016 6:56 AM
  • Ed,

Did you just cut and paste your reply without actually reading the question and then just marked it as an answer? How does your reply answer Shanky's concern? I'd say Kamin's answer is more to the point.

For every expert, there is an equal and opposite expert. - Becker's Law

My blog

My TechNet articles

Complaining about the behavior of a particular CSG. It's legitimate. It should be complained about. That way they'll know to adjust their behavior.

Ed Price, Azure Development Customer Program Manager (Blog, Small Basic, Wiki Ninjas, Wiki)

Friday, July 1, 2016 11:12 PM
    Owner
  • The following is my opinion:

I feel that the MSFT CSG people are more interested in marking threads as "Answered" than any other consideration including whether or not an actual answer was provided.  I have had threads that I myself asked marked as answer when the only reply was from someone who had a long history of obfuscating and taking topics off on extreme tangents to the point where they were banned from some areas.  I unmarked the thread as answered and noted that it was NOT appropriate to mark as such but no reply from anyone was ever forthcoming.

Please do not read this sentence. Please ignore the previous sentence.

Naomi, this isn't the solution. It's an opinion. I know a ton of CSGs who are very accurate. Some aren't. They are individual people.

Friday, July 1, 2016 11:15 PM
    Owner
  • Plus this policy change should come from Microsoft. They still continue this behavior. Plus what they think that the answer they have posted is the "correct" one and others are just blabbering about.

Unfortunately many a times they just mark answer for sake of marking it. And OP is really not satisfied with solution. They even dont ask whether the information was helpful or not.

Cheers,

Shashank

My TechNet Wiki Articles

MVP

What should the policy change be? To only mark threads when they think it's really an answer?

Because that's the current policy. The policy is to propose an answer and then wait 7 days. If they aren't doing that, then it needs to be reported. If they are doing that, then you should unpropose their answer, call them out on it, and get it fixed. They'll learn through that process.

Also, if an attempted answer isn't the answer, then it shouldn't be left. You should post the correct answer or at least call out why the answer isn't correct. If that's done, and they're still marking the wrong answers, then that needs to be reported.

Friday, July 1, 2016 11:18 PM
    Owner
  • What should the policy change be? To only mark threads when they think it's really an answer?

Because that's the current policy. The policy is to propose an answer and then wait 7 days. If they aren't doing that, then it needs to be reported. If they are doing that, then you should unpropose their answer, call them out on it, and get it fixed. They'll learn through that process.

The policy change(which should come from MS) should be to educate them to NOT MARK EACH AND EVERY THREAD WITH ANSWER instead VOTE ON ANSWERS which they feel correct. Other thing is ask them  not to mark THEIR OWN ANSWERS, there are lot of people who can do that. Currently it seems CSG guys are taught just to make sure to mark the answers even if there is no valid answer.

Sometimes a question can really not marked with answer and what CSG guys do they pick an comment which is big, has some explanations, which can be ofcourse correct, and mark that answer. Note this is not at all related to.

They have also stopped asking whether you are satisfied with answer.

PS: I am not the only one complaining any body who loves forum and wants to make sure that it really helps people by providing "correct" answer will have same objection as I am having.

Thanks for looking this personally

Cheers,

Shashank

My TechNet Wiki Articles

MVP

Saturday, July 2, 2016 6:41 AM