Extending the Sync Pipeline RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

Can we hook into the Life Cycle of an Sync Session, or can we extend it, if yes, what is the best extension point and how do we do it?

The Typical Sync Session is,

Get Destination Knowledge

Get Change Batch from Source

Process the Change batch at Destination.

Load Changes from Source

Save them in Destination

End the Sync Session

Can we extend this, and say, this step is common for all the Sync Sessions, before sending it to Destination and all those stuff.

Regards,

Sanket

Thursday, April 17, 2008 6:53 AM

Answers

• Hi Sanket,

I apologize for the late response.

Regarding your question:

The sequence of operations that the sync session performs is not modifiable. Additionally, the sequence of engine calls is not a documented guarantee and may change in a future release. Sync Providers should not rely on the order of method calls. 

It is however a guarantee is that sync sessions are bracketed by calls to a provider's BeginSession() / EndSession() methods. Accordingly, best place to inject custom logic is in the BeginSession() / EndSession() calls. If that does not work for your scenario then hopefully you can describe it further so we can discuss other possible solutions.

Hope that helps.

Thanks,

Neil

Monday, May 12, 2008 9:49 PM

All replies

• It seems, we don't even deserve a yes or a no even. I am not ashamed, even if my question is dumb, even it might be the dumbest one, but at least let me know its a dumb question.

Regards,

Sanket

naik_sanket wrote:

Hi,

Can we hook into the Life Cycle of an Sync Session, or can we extend it, if yes, what is the best extension point and how do we do it?

The Typical Sync Session is,

Get Destination Knowledge

Get Change Batch from Source

Process the Change batch at Destination.

Load Changes from Source

Save them in Destination

End the Sync Session

Can we extend this, and say, this step is common for all the Sync Sessions, before sending it to Destination and all those stuff.

Regards,

Sanket

Monday, April 21, 2008 5:09 AM
  • Hi Sanket,

I apologize for the late response.

Regarding your question:

The sequence of operations that the sync session performs is not modifiable. Additionally, the sequence of engine calls is not a documented guarantee and may change in a future release. Sync Providers should not rely on the order of method calls. 

It is however a guarantee is that sync sessions are bracketed by calls to a provider's BeginSession() / EndSession() methods. Accordingly, best place to inject custom logic is in the BeginSession() / EndSession() calls. If that does not work for your scenario then hopefully you can describe it further so we can discuss other possible solutions.

Hope that helps.

Thanks,

Neil

Monday, May 12, 2008 9:49 PM