trouble with scan for viruses and other potentially unwanted software-says I cancelled tune-up when I didn't RRS feed

• Question

• I run my tune-up every two weeks and I understand completely why I get the yellow for check for files needing backup.

But everytime I run the tune-up the scan for viruses and other potentially unwanted software always shows yellow and says this task did not complete because tune-up was cancelled.    I did NOT cancel the tune-up!

Friday, January 4, 2008 11:54 PM

Answers

• Open OneCare and click on change settings. Select the backup tab and turn off the backup if you don't intend to use it. If OneCare runs a tune-up and backup is enabled, but you are going to backup to CD/DVD, you need to complete the tune-up by completing the backup. If you are not doing the backup, you are not completing the tune-up.

-steve

Saturday, January 5, 2008 3:21 AM

All replies

• Open OneCare and click on change settings. Select the backup tab and turn off the backup if you don't intend to use it. If OneCare runs a tune-up and backup is enabled, but you are going to backup to CD/DVD, you need to complete the tune-up by completing the backup. If you are not doing the backup, you are not completing the tune-up.

-steve

Saturday, January 5, 2008 3:21 AM
  •  

Steve-

I understand why my "1" icon turns yellow during the tune-up.

I do a backup every time I do a tune-up and my "1" icon turns green again.

When I do a tune-up I get grays and check marks for remove unnecessary files, defragment the hard disk & check for needed security undates from microsoft.

I understand why I get yellow for check for files needing backup during the tune-up.

But why doesn't it scan for viruses during the tune-up? I always get yellow for scan for viruses and other potentially unwanted software and a line below it saying:

This task did not complete because tune-up was cancelled. I didn't cancel the tune-up.

Sunday, January 6, 2008 3:36 AM
  • Sorry I misunderstood. If the report at the end of tune-up indicates that the scan didn't complete and you didn't cancel, I think there is either a problem with the report or something is causing the scan to fail. Please contact support when you get a chance - 

How to reach support - http://forums.microsoft.com/WindowsOneCare/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=2421771&SiteID=2

If it fails to validate your subscription, select the option that you are using a trial or beta copy and you can proceed to email support without validation once you've signed in.

-steve

Tuesday, January 8, 2008 2:41 AM