60GB + 30GB - will these work to start off with? RRS feed

• Question

• I just want to see if an old Giga-byte PIII / 450MHz set up will work - there are some suggestions it will BUT I have all of my drives in use except an old 60GB drive and the original 30GB drive that went with the PIII.  The PC previously ran XP Pro SP2 (slowly..).

I have just ordered 256MB as the PC had only 256MB but I don't want to buy any other parts unless I know the thing has a chance of working.  The original BIOS only accepted 30GB but I have flashed it to a version that says 75GB is OK.

One user seemed to suggest 2x60 GB worked but in one post and the min spec it says 80GB - but other places say 65GB is needed and in one post a respndant said it needed to be on one drive not spread over 2.

Before I waste cash - definitive advice please?

Thanks, Mel

Tuesday, August 28, 2007 9:22 PM

Answers

• Hi,

You need at least 65gb for main system drive, if we calc that, normally 80gb rated drive will meet that requirement, since 65gb will be in the range of 57gb and a like, this deferent from one HDD company to another one.

Maybe whom install it on 60gb, not RC ver.

So my personal view that it will not work.

My best.
    Tuesday, August 28, 2007 9:39 PM
  • Mel, you will need at least one drive of 65 GB or more in order to install WHS. Your additional drives could be smaller, but the system drive must be 65 GB. So no, I don't think your 60 GB drive will work. You can try, but in all probability you will find that WHS won't see any drives it can install on, and will refuse to continue.
    Tuesday, August 28, 2007 10:37 PM

All replies

• Hi,

You need at least 65gb for main system drive, if we calc that, normally 80gb rated drive will meet that requirement, since 65gb will be in the range of 57gb and a like, this deferent from one HDD company to another one.

Maybe whom install it on 60gb, not RC ver.

So my personal view that it will not work.

My best.
    Tuesday, August 28, 2007 9:39 PM
  •  Mel P wrote:

I just want to see if an old Giga-byte PIII / 450MHz set up will work - there are some suggestions it will BUT I have all of my drives in use except an old 60GB drive and the original 30GB drive that went with the PIII.  The PC previously ran XP Pro SP2 (slowly..).

I have just ordered 256MB as the PC had only 256MB but I don't want to buy any other parts unless I know the thing has a chance of working.  The original BIOS only accepted 30GB but I have flashed it to a version that says 75GB is OK.

One user seemed to suggest 2x60 GB worked but in one post and the min spec it says 80GB - but other places say 65GB is needed and in one post a respndant said it needed to be on one drive not spread over 2.

Before I waste cash - definitive advice please?

Thanks, Mel

The min requirements for the CPU on WHS is P3 with 1ghz. you only have have 450MHz, you need more power for WHS to run correctly.

Tuesday, August 28, 2007 9:50 PM
  • Mel, you will need at least one drive of 65 GB or more in order to install WHS. Your additional drives could be smaller, but the system drive must be 65 GB. So no, I don't think your 60 GB drive will work. You can try, but in all probability you will find that WHS won't see any drives it can install on, and will refuse to continue.
    Tuesday, August 28, 2007 10:37 PM
  • One cheap way to go with this would be to add a new ATA RAID controller and setup the two drives in a RAID-0 stripe set. This should make them appear to WHS as one 90GB drive. I'm sure you'll need to use the F6 floppy driver installation method so be sure whatever you buy will support Win2003. Another benefit of this is that you will then also have a bios that should be able to use at least 500gb drives without issue.

One product I found (no personal experience with this) for $15 at Newegg (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16816132004).

Hope this helps.
    Thursday, August 30, 2007 8:59 PM
  • Well I risked it - I spent £23 on a 80GB drive (I didn't want to go bigger in case BIOS didn't recognise the HDD.  anyway I now have WHS working on a PIII 450 MHZ pc with 512MB memory - next step is to leave ot to do a back up of my PC.

Will install the 60GB drive also.

I have a 350GB firewire / USB2 drive BUT the PC only has USB1 - will post re this.

Mel

Sunday, September 9, 2007 4:56 PM