home server prob...with sign in RRS feed

• Question

• I set up the server and it worked great but when i added my lap top to the list I could no longer from any computer sign into the server console what is the fix or can I reset the password. I can conect to the server direct from my base computer but not the console. and when I try to open the server It boots to the blue win.home server page and stops??? 
    • Edited by Jason 101 Wednesday, May 27, 2009 10:15 PM
    Wednesday, May 27, 2009 5:32 PM

Answers

• Does accessing the server via Remote Desktop Client with account name Administrator and the console password work?
    In this case check the event viewer of the server for related errors or warnings.

Does your server (although headless used) have a NVidia graphic card, for which you may have installed drivers?
    In this case try to uninstall those drivers, since they more often than not seem to mess up Remote Desktop access, and the console is only a special Remote Desktop session.

Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf
    • Marked as answer by Jason 101 Sunday, May 31, 2009 4:27 PM
    Thursday, May 28, 2009 11:10 AM

All replies

• I think that the problem started when you added your laptop to the server is a coincidence. That said, we're likely to need more information than you've given us. Is your server built by you, or is it an HP or other OEM unit? If you built it, have you tried just shutting it down, connecting keyboard, monitor, and mouse, and logging in directly that way? If it's an OEM unit, you might want to contact the manufacturer for technical assistance; you've paid for the support already, after all. :)

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Wednesday, May 27, 2009 7:56 PM
  • Its a home built  and I have conected a moniter key board and mouse when I hard boot it gos through the setup fine but stops at the home server blue screen. like I said I can akses files from my desk top but not through the console or thrugh the server directly.  From my laptop or from my desk top when I try to open the server console it said password is incorrect
    • Edited by Jason 101 Wednesday, May 27, 2009 10:47 PM
    Wednesday, May 27, 2009 10:08 PM
  • Its a home built  and I have conected a moniter key board and mouse when I hard boot it gos through the setup fine but stops at the home server blue screen. like I said I can akses files from my desk top but not through the console or thrugh the server directly.  From my laptop or from my desk top when I try to open the server console it said password is incorrect

What add-ins do you have installed?  Do you have any apps installed on the server (which is unsupported)?  Where did you get the WHS DVD?
    Wednesday, May 27, 2009 11:41 PM
  • I did not add any apps  I got WHS new in box from new egg Its just music and photos storage 11.5 T.B.. Mother board is a asus p5q pro pros.intel 3.6 Quad
    8 gig ram  over clock just a little I run the server headless But I do not think its a hardware problem but soft ware I think I need to reset the pass word ???? I run vista 64 and xp same with each soft ware pac.
    Thursday, May 28, 2009 6:04 AM
  • Does accessing the server via Remote Desktop Client with account name Administrator and the console password work?
    In this case check the event viewer of the server for related errors or warnings.

Does your server (although headless used) have a NVidia graphic card, for which you may have installed drivers?
    In this case try to uninstall those drivers, since they more often than not seem to mess up Remote Desktop access, and the console is only a special Remote Desktop session.

Olaf
    • Marked as answer by Jason 101 Sunday, May 31, 2009 4:27 PM
    Thursday, May 28, 2009 11:10 AM
  • I can not log on even with remot desktop client I will try to replace the invida card with an ati card Thanks all hope it works!!! 
    Thursday, May 28, 2009 10:44 PM
  • I can not log on even with remot desktop client I will try to replace the invida card with an ati card Thanks all hope it works!!! 

Besides uninstalling the NVidia drivers another known solution for the NVidia bug is editing the registry on the server:
    Save the following lines in a text file with extension .reg and import it into the registry of your home server.

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager\Memory Management]
    “SessionImageSize”=dword:00000020

Olaf
    Saturday, May 30, 2009 11:25 AM
  • Jason, with keyboard, monitor, and mouse connected, could you reboot your server, and then tell us exactly where and what issue you're having? Does it make it all the way to the "Press Ctrl-Alt-Del" screen? If it does, what happens when you do so? When you enter Administrator as the user, and the console password as the password? Where exactly does the system become unresponsive?
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Saturday, May 30, 2009 2:41 PM
  • Thank all of you I just picked up a cheep ATI vid card and problem solved thank you again

Jason
        I will stay in touch to hellp with any knolage I have
    Sunday, May 31, 2009 4:32 PM