Windows Home Server Restore to 3.8 terabyte GPT Raid 0 RRS feed

• Question

• i want to restore a windows home server 2011 backup to two new HD's (2 terabyte each) single raid 0 (3.8 terabyte)  - can windows home server 2011 restore work if i initialize the disk to GPT to make use of the large partition instead of the 2tb MBR limit?
    Sunday, July 3, 2011 8:29 PM

Answers

• Thanks Phil for your response. i also learned that Home Server 2011 will not do a full restore to a EFI GTP enviroment. I saw this after i posted the question.

"Windows Home Server 2011 does not support GUID Partition Table (GPT) file systems. If you have a computer that is an Extensible Firmware Interface (EFI)-based system and you set it up using the GPT file system system backup, file and folder restore from a backup, and full system restore from a backup are not supported."

Hopefully Microsoft will catch up with the new technology soon.

• Marked as answer by TheFreed Monday, July 4, 2011 3:52 PM
    Monday, July 4, 2011 3:52 PM

All replies

• The maximum size of your backup will be 2TB, but you should be able to restore that to a larger partition.

Phil P.S. If you find my comment helpful or if it answers your question, please mark it as such.
    Monday, July 4, 2011 3:16 PM
  • Thanks Phil for your response. i also learned that Home Server 2011 will not do a full restore to a EFI GTP enviroment. I saw this after i posted the question.

"Windows Home Server 2011 does not support GUID Partition Table (GPT) file systems. If you have a computer that is an Extensible Firmware Interface (EFI)-based system and you set it up using the GPT file system system backup, file and folder restore from a backup, and full system restore from a backup are not supported."

Hopefully Microsoft will catch up with the new technology soon.

• Marked as answer by TheFreed Monday, July 4, 2011 3:52 PM
    Monday, July 4, 2011 3:52 PM