XP SP3 "Unable to download troubleshooters, please check your Internet connection." RRS feed

• Question

• I have read the other topics.

I am running XP SP3, with Microsoft Security Essesntials, and Ashampoo Firewall Free.

I have tried turning these off, but no change.

I am running on a wireless network (MSHOME domain name) from a Linksys router connected to broadband through Tiscali UK (phoneline not cable)

Monday, April 19, 2010 3:42 PM

Answers

• @selsine

Given that your computer meets the Microsoft Fix it Center application's OS requirement (Windows XP SP3 or above), one of the required components, namely MSXML6, should already be present on your computer system. However, the test showed that MSXML6 was not properly configured on your computer. You may want to repair your installation of Windows XP SP3 first. You may post Windows XP questions to forums listed on http://social.answers.microsoft.com/Forums/en/category/windowsxp.

You may also try uninstalling the MSXML6 component from your computer (through the Add or Remove Programs applet in Control Panel), reboot the computer, and then search for and install the component again from http://update.microsoft.com/windowsupdate/.

Regards

Daniel Chow
    Sr. Software Development Engineer
    Product Quality and Online

This email is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    Monday, May 17, 2010 6:03 AM

All replies

• Oh yes, latest updates installed on all software
    Monday, April 19, 2010 3:42 PM
  • Hi,

Fix it Center downloads the troubelshooters from download.microsoft.com, could you please try using IE to download one of the troubelshooters under this link: http://download.microsoft.com/download/0/7/4/0749F1A2-640C-46EE-A05B-9C068D813F73/sound.diagcab  i.e., open IE, input the link, and hit Save, does it get saved successfully ?

In addition, even though the troubleshooters did not get downloaded successfully in the setup program, you should still have a chance to install them under the Fix it Center client. Could you please also try to open "Microsoft Fix it Center" under your Start menu, it should show you a number of troubleshooters available for your machine with "Install" button on the right of each one of them, clicking on the "Install" button will attempt to install it again.

Regards,

Agnes

Tuesday, April 20, 2010 2:00 AM
  • Dear Customer,

Do you see any warning and error events shown in the Application section under the Windows Logs for the MatSvc event source? To find such events,

1. Run "eventvwr.msc" from the Start menu or the Run box (with the Start-R key).

2. Expand "Windows Logs" on the left pane. Select "Application" under the expanded "Windows Logs" node.

3. Click on "Filter Current Log..." on the Actions pane on the right.

4. Select "MatSvc" from the "Event sources" dropdown box. Hit OK.

5. Select all the events shown and right click on any of them. On the popup menu that came up, select Copy -> Copy Details as Text.

6. Paste the copied text to this thread.

Regards,

Daniel Chow

Product Quality & Online

Microsoft Corporation

Tuesday, April 27, 2010 8:09 PM
  • Will enter here with much the same as everyone else I have read here.  This Operating System has never been restored or reinstalled. 

Do you get the same error retrying "Microsoft Fix it Center" on your desktop after reboot? – YES –

If so, can you please provide me information regarding your computer and network connection? – WINDOWS XP HOME, SP3 –  ON A HOME NETWORK WITH 7 COMPUTERS, 3 – WIRELESS, ALL XP HOME OR LATER – ITEM FIXITCENTER INSTALLED ON 5 OUT OF 7.  1 OF THE NON-INSTALLS IS A MAC, SO IT WAS NOT ATTEMPTED.

- Do you have all the latest Windows updates installed? – YES –

- What is the firewall client – WINDOWS FIREWALL –

/ antivirus – MICROSOFT SECURITY ESSENTIALS –  

/ anti-malware software installed on your computer? – MICROSOFT SECURITY ESSENTIALS – SPYWAREBLASTER – MVPS HOSTS FILES UPDATES – MALWAREBYTES ANTIMALWARE FREE ON CALL w/out SERVICES RUNNING –

Could any installed firewall client software have prevented outgoing Internet traffic from a new program? – NO –

- Do you use Internet Explorer as your daily web browser? – YES, IE 8 –

Has your web browser been configured to use any proxy server or automatic proxy configuration URL? – NO –

DOWNLOADED THE sound.diagcab FILE AS DIRECTED WITHOUT ISSUES.

EVENT VIEWER INFO ASSOCIATED with FAILURE TO INSTALL

Error ID: 3

Source:  MatSvc

The MATS service encountered a web service failure. hr=0x80040154

Warning ID:  12

Source:  MatSvc

The MATS service encountered a failure when getting HTTP proxy settings. hr=0x80072F94

.Keyword:GetUrlProxyInfo

Wednesday, April 28, 2010 1:04 AM
  • @ALF9946

What is the OS level and service pack level of the computers which failed the install? Windows XP SP3 is the minimum OS requirement for the Microsoft Fix it Center application.

Regards,

Daniel Chow

Product Quality & Online

Microsoft Corporation

Wednesday, April 28, 2010 4:11 AM
  • Dear Customers who encountered the 0x80040154 error in the Event Viewer,

Please provide us a bit more information to better understand the problem encountered.

Please follow the below steps and post the outputs you get onto this thread.

1. Go to command window by hitting the Start-R key, typing in "cmd.exe" and hitting Enter.

2. Type in the following lines in the command window and hit Enter when reaching the end of each line. This will bring up the notepad application.

notepad dom_test.js

3. Click Yes when asked whether to create a new file.

4. Copy and paste the following lines into the notepad window.

var xmlDoc = new ActiveXObject("Msxml2.DOMDocument.6.0");
    xmlDoc.async = false;
    xmlDoc.loadXML("<a><b c=\"d\">e</b></a>");
    if (xmlDoc.parseError.errorCode != 0) {
       var myErr = xmlDoc.parseError;
       WScript.Echo("You have error " + myErr.reason);
    } else {
       WScript.Echo(xmlDoc.xml);
    }

5. Save the file.

6. Type in the following line in the command window and hit Enter. This command runs a MSXML6 related test on your computer.

cscript /nologo dom_test.js

7. Reply to this thread with the outputs from the command.

8. Type in the following line in the command window and hit Enter. This command removes the file created in step #5.

del dom_test.js

Regards,

Daniel Chow

Product Quality & Online

Microsoft Corporation

Wednesday, April 28, 2010 4:36 AM
  • I have also had the problems "Unable To download troubleshooters----", plus I got an error during the install, "Microsoft Fix It Center has encountered an unexpected error, please try again, Error Code: 16977921--2147023843" I retried the install several times and it still gave me the message, even doing an overlay installation, over the other one. The system is XP SP3, the event viewer has this listed

Event Type: Error
    Event Source: MatSvc
    Event Category: None
    Event ID: 1
    Date:  4/28/2010
    Time:  12:58:29 AM
    User:  N/A
    Computer: MAIN
    Description:
    The description for Event ID ( 1 ) in Source ( MatSvc ) cannot be found. The local computer may not have the necessary registry information or message DLL files to display messages from a remote computer. You may be able to use the /AUXSOURCE= flag to retrieve this description; see Help and Support for details. The following information is part of the event: hr=0x80070005.

The output from the js test :   <a><b c="d">e</b></a>

Dennis ,, Owner: HTML tutorial Please dont forget to mark any post(s) that helped as helpful or answered EMAIL ME:: PERSONAL EMAIL :: BUSINESS EMAIL
    Wednesday, April 28, 2010 5:58 AM
  • I'm running WinXP/SP3 here.  I receive the same pair of error prompts witnessed by securityguy14.  First prompt gives me the error code 16977921-2147024891 ; the second informs me that troubleshooters cannot be downloaded.  The program then terminates.  The above two prompts leave me the impression that the installation bombed out, but I show a Start menu icon for the program which, when clicked, again gives me the same pair of error prompts.
    Thursday, April 29, 2010 12:31 AM
  • Forgot to mention: All pertinent Windows updates are installed.  <sigh>  Should I now seek the services of an exorcist...?  Or perhaps, since I appear to be dealing with a temporal loop, I should pop an email out to Stephen Hawking...?
    Thursday, April 29, 2010 1:56 AM
  • I have several files if the developers want them, I have a listing of all the files, folders, and registry keys added during the installation. also, I have a memory dump of both the parent and child processes during a hang of the processes. also a memory trace, and verbose output from windbg. also, if the developers are interested and can read the output from an IDA Pro disassembly of both the parent and child process, with debugging info attached, I have that. I also have the output from a ProcMon capture, with it filtered down to the two processes, during the initialization and hang of the application. if your interested in any of those just let me know which ones and ill upload them to my skydrive and post the link here
    Dennis ,, Owner: HTML tutorial Please dont forget to mark any post(s) that helped as helpful or answered EMAIL ME:: PERSONAL EMAIL :: BUSINESS EMAIL
    Thursday, April 29, 2010 3:23 AM
  • Please follow the below steps and post the outputs you get onto this thread.

1. Go to command window by hitting the Start-R key, typing in "cmd.exe" and hitting Enter.

2. Type in the following lines in the command window and hit Enter when reaching the end of each line. This will bring up the notepad application.

notepad dom_test.js

3. Click Yes when asked whether to create a new file.

4. Copy and paste the following lines into the notepad window.

var xmlDoc = new ActiveXObject("Msxml2.DOMDocument.6.0");
    xmlDoc.async = false;
    xmlDoc.loadXML("<a><b c=\"d\">e</b></a>");
    if (xmlDoc.parseError.errorCode != 0) {
       var myErr = xmlDoc.parseError;
       WScript.Echo("You have error " + myErr.reason);
    } else {
       WScript.Echo(xmlDoc.xml);
    }

5. Save the file.

6. Type in the following line in the command window and hit Enter. This command runs a MSXML6 related test on your computer.

cscript /nologo dom_test.js

7. Reply to this thread with the outputs from the command.

8. Type in the following line in the command window and hit Enter. This command removes the file created in step #5.

del dom_test.js

Hi Daniel,

This is what I get when testing:

Microsoft Windows XP [Version 5.1.2600]
    (C) Copyright 1985-2001 Microsoft Corp.

C:\>cscript /nologo dom_test.js
    C:\dom_test.js(1, 1) Microsoft JScript runtime error: Automation server can't create object

I hope that helps. Has there been a fix for this?

Friday, May 14, 2010 1:25 AM
  • @selsine

Given that your computer meets the Microsoft Fix it Center application's OS requirement (Windows XP SP3 or above), one of the required components, namely MSXML6, should already be present on your computer system. However, the test showed that MSXML6 was not properly configured on your computer. You may want to repair your installation of Windows XP SP3 first. You may post Windows XP questions to forums listed on http://social.answers.microsoft.com/Forums/en/category/windowsxp.

You may also try uninstalling the MSXML6 component from your computer (through the Add or Remove Programs applet in Control Panel), reboot the computer, and then search for and install the component again from http://update.microsoft.com/windowsupdate/.

Regards

Daniel Chow
    Product Quality and Online

Monday, May 17, 2010 6:03 AM
  • Hello Daniel Chow, I appreciate your efforts.

I found that it is helpful first to check (START- SYSTEMSTEURUNG - SOFTWARE) whether the MSXML6 is installed. In my case (XP SP3) only the MSXML4 was installed. That's why I got the error-message.

After downloading the msxml6 everything installed perfectly.

Maybe this helps someone.

Regards denkanstoss

Wednesday, May 19, 2010 2:28 PM
  • I am Using Win 7 Ult 32 bit.

The output from the js test :   <a><b c="d">e</b></a>

But i get the same error - Unable to download..

Plz help

Thursday, May 20, 2010 8:02 AM
  • Daniel,

Sorry not to return before now.  I have resolved the issue by uninstalling MSXML 6.0 through a portable version of REVO portable uninstaller at the advanced level to remove all registry threads and files.  I then followed up uninstalling the Microsoft Fixit Center through Windows Install Clean Up.  I restarted and downloaded a fresh version of the Fixit Center, installed it, and all is working better than expected.

I followed the directions you gave @selsine and found similar results with del dom_test.js. 

C:\>cscript /nologo dom_test.js
    C:\dom_test.js(1, 1) Microsoft JScript runtime error: Automation server can't create object

I then took your recommendation to @selsine with additional procedures above with REVO and WICUU.  Thank you for your insight.  I appreciate your assistance.  By the way, the system had Windows Installer 4.5 on board at the time of this issue.  No other modifications were installed except for the updates on 5.13.  The successful installation of MS Fix it Center was on 5.18.

Thanks for your guidance and assistance.

Al

Thursday, May 20, 2010 7:46 PM
  • @selsine

Given that your computer meets the Microsoft Fix it Center application's OS requirement (Windows XP SP3 or above), one of the required components, namely MSXML6, should already be present on your computer system. However, the test showed that MSXML6 was not properly configured on your computer. You may want to repair your installation of Windows XP SP3 first. You may post Windows XP questions to forums listed on http://social.answers.microsoft.com/Forums/en/category/windowsxp .

You may also try uninstalling the MSXML6 component from your computer (through the Add or Remove Programs applet in Control Panel), reboot the computer, and then search for and install the component again from http://update.microsoft.com/windowsupdate/ .

Hi Daniel,

MSXML6 was installed. I uninstalled it and then re-installed it and now everything seems to be working.

It seems strange that MSXML6 is supposed to be installed on XP SP3 but seems to be causing a problem for so many people..?

Thanks for the help.

Thursday, May 20, 2010 11:47 PM
  • i have followed what you told. i have win7 sp1 on my computer
    Log Name:      Application
    Source:        MatSvc
    Date:          20-03-2011 17:09:49
    Event ID:      3
    Task Category: None
    Level:         Error
    Keywords:      Classic
    User:          N/A
    Computer:      dell15
    Description:
    The MATS service encountered a web service failure. hr=0x80072F8F
    Event Xml:
    <Event xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/win/2004/08/events/event">
      <System>
        <Provider Name="MatSvc" />
        <EventID Qualifiers="49156">3</EventID>
        <Level>2</Level>
        <Task>0</Task>
        <Keywords>0x80000000000000</Keywords>
        <TimeCreated SystemTime="2011-03-20T11:39:49.000000000Z" />
        <EventRecordID>55315</EventRecordID>
        <Channel>Application</Channel>
        <Computer>dell15</Computer>
        <Security />
      </System>
      <EventData>
        <Data>hr=0x80072F8F</Data>
        <Data>ISapCatalogService::GetFullSapCatalog</Data>
        <Data>
        </Data>
      </EventData>
    </Event>
    Date:          20-03-2011 17:09:48
    Event ID:      12
    Level:         Warning
    Description:
    The MATS service encountered a failure when getting HTTP proxy settings. hr=0x80072F94
    Event Xml:
      <System>
        <EventID Qualifiers="32772">12</EventID>
        <Level>3</Level>
        <Task>0</Task>
        <TimeCreated SystemTime="2011-03-20T11:39:48.000000000Z" />
        <EventRecordID>55314</EventRecordID>
        <Security />
      </System>
      <EventData>
        <Data>hr=0x80072F94</Data>
        <Data>Keyword:GetUrlProxyInfo</Data>
      </EventData>
    </Event>
    Date:          20-03-2011 17:05:03
    Description:
    Event Xml:
      <System>
        <Level>2</Level>
        <Task>0</Task>
        <TimeCreated SystemTime="2011-03-20T11:35:03.000000000Z" />
        <EventRecordID>55310</EventRecordID>
        <Security />
      </System>
      <EventData>
        <Data>
        </Data>
      </EventData>
    </Event>
    Date:          20-03-2011 17:05:03
    Description:
    Event Xml:
      <System>
        <Level>3</Level>
        <Task>0</Task>
        <TimeCreated SystemTime="2011-03-20T11:35:03.000000000Z" />
        <EventRecordID>55309</EventRecordID>
        <Security />
      </System>
      <EventData>
      </EventData>
    </Event>
    Date:          20-03-2011 17:04:36
    Description:
    Event Xml:
      <System>
        <Level>2</Level>
        <Task>0</Task>
        <TimeCreated SystemTime="2011-03-20T11:34:36.000000000Z" />
        <EventRecordID>55307</EventRecordID>
        <Security />
      </System>
      <EventData>
        <Data>
        </Data>
      </EventData>
    </Event>
    Date:          20-03-2011 17:04:34
    Description:
    Event Xml:
      <System>
        <Level>3</Level>
        <Task>0</Task>
        <TimeCreated SystemTime="2011-03-20T11:34:34.000000000Z" />
        <EventRecordID>55306</EventRecordID>
        <Security />
      </System>
      <EventData>
      </EventData>
    </Event>
    Date:          20-03-2011 13:59:47
    Description:
    The MATS service encountered a web service failure. hr=0x80072EFD
    Event Xml:
      <System>
        <Level>2</Level>
        <Task>0</Task>
        <TimeCreated SystemTime="2011-03-20T08:29:47.000000000Z" />
        <EventRecordID>55271</EventRecordID>
        <Security />
      </System>
      <EventData>
        <Data>hr=0x80072EFD</Data>
        <Data>
        </Data>
      </EventData>
    </Event>
    Date:          20-03-2011 13:59:47
    Description:
    Event Xml:
      <System>
        <Level>3</Level>
        <Task>0</Task>
        <TimeCreated SystemTime="2011-03-20T08:29:47.000000000Z" />
        <EventRecordID>55270</EventRecordID>
        <Security />
      </System>
      <EventData>
      </EventData>
    </Event>
    Date:          20-03-2011 13:59:20
    Description:
    Event Xml:
      <System>
        <Level>2</Level>
        <Task>0</Task>
        <TimeCreated SystemTime="2011-03-20T08:29:20.000000000Z" />
        <EventRecordID>55269</EventRecordID>
        <Security />
      </System>
      <EventData>
        <Data>
        </Data>
      </EventData>
    </Event>
    Date:          20-03-2011 13:59:19
    Description:
    Event Xml:
      <System>
        <Level>3</Level>
        <Task>0</Task>
        <TimeCreated SystemTime="2011-03-20T08:29:19.000000000Z" />
        <EventRecordID>55268</EventRecordID>
        <Security />
      </System>
      <EventData>
      </EventData>
    </Event>
    Date:          20-03-2011 13:59:02
    Description:
    The MATS service encountered a web service failure. hr=0x80072EE7
    Event Xml:
      <System>
        <Level>2</Level>
        <Task>0</Task>
        <TimeCreated SystemTime="2011-03-20T08:29:02.000000000Z" />
        <EventRecordID>55267</EventRecordID>
        <Security />
      </System>
      <EventData>
        <Data>hr=0x80072EE7</Data>
        <Data>
        </Data>
      </EventData>
    </Event>
    Date:          20-03-2011 13:58:50
    Description:
    Event Xml:
      <System>
        <Level>3</Level>
        <Task>0</Task>
        <TimeCreated SystemTime="2011-03-20T08:28:50.000000000Z" />
        <EventRecordID>55266</EventRecordID>
        <Security />
      </System>
      <EventData>
      </EventData>
    </Event>
    Date:          20-03-2011 13:49:44
    Description:
    Event Xml:
      <System>
        <Level>2</Level>
        <Task>0</Task>
        <TimeCreated SystemTime="2011-03-20T08:19:44.000000000Z" />
        <EventRecordID>55260</EventRecordID>
        <Security />
      </System>
      <EventData>
        <Data>
        </Data>
      </EventData>
    </Event>
    Date:          20-03-2011 13:49:44
    Description:
    Event Xml:
      <System>
        <Level>3</Level>
        <Task>0</Task>
        <TimeCreated SystemTime="2011-03-20T08:19:44.000000000Z" />
        <EventRecordID>55259</EventRecordID>
        <Security />
      </System>
      <EventData>
      </EventData>
    </Event>
    Date:          20-03-2011 13:46:52
    Description:
    Event Xml:
      <System>
        <Level>2</Level>
        <Task>0</Task>
        <TimeCreated SystemTime="2011-03-20T08:16:52.000000000Z" />
        <EventRecordID>55258</EventRecordID>
        <Security />
      </System>
      <EventData>
        <Data>
        </Data>
      </EventData>
    </Event>
    Date:          20-03-2011 13:46:52
    Description:
    Event Xml:
      <System>
        <Level>3</Level>
        <Task>0</Task>
        <TimeCreated SystemTime="2011-03-20T08:16:52.000000000Z" />
        <EventRecordID>55257</EventRecordID>
        <Security />
      </System>
      <EventData>
      </EventData>
    </Event>
    Date:          20-03-2011 13:46:29
    Description:
    Event Xml:
      <System>
        <Level>2</Level>
        <Task>0</Task>
        <TimeCreated SystemTime="2011-03-20T08:16:29.000000000Z" />
        <EventRecordID>55256</EventRecordID>
        <Security />
      </System>
      <EventData>
        <Data>
        </Data>
      </EventData>
    </Event>
    Date:          20-03-2011 13:46:28
    Description:
    Event Xml:
      <System>
        <Level>3</Level>
        <Task>0</Task>
        <TimeCreated SystemTime="2011-03-20T08:16:28.000000000Z" />
        <EventRecordID>55255</EventRecordID>
        <Security />
      </System>
      <EventData>
      </EventData>
    </Event>
    Date:          20-03-2011 13:41:36
    Description:
    Event Xml:
      <System>
        <Level>2</Level>
        <Task>0</Task>
        <TimeCreated SystemTime="2011-03-20T08:11:36.000000000Z" />
        <EventRecordID>55236</EventRecordID>
        <Security />
      </System>
      <EventData>
        <Data>
        </Data>
      </EventData>
    </Event>
    Date:          20-03-2011 13:41:36
    Description:
    Event Xml:
      <System>
        <Level>3</Level>
        <Task>0</Task>
        <TimeCreated SystemTime="2011-03-20T08:11:36.000000000Z" />
        <EventRecordID>55235</EventRecordID>
        <Security />
      </System>
      <EventData>
      </EventData>
    </Event>
    Date:          20-03-2011 13:41:24
    Description:
    Event Xml:
      <System>
        <Level>2</Level>
        <Task>0</Task>
        <TimeCreated SystemTime="2011-03-20T08:11:24.000000000Z" />
        <EventRecordID>55234</EventRecordID>
        <Security />
      </System>
      <EventData>
        <Data>
        </Data>
      </EventData>
    </Event>
    Date:          20-03-2011 13:41:24
    Description:
    Event Xml:
      <System>
        <Level>3</Level>
        <Task>0</Task>
        <TimeCreated SystemTime="2011-03-20T08:11:24.000000000Z" />
        <EventRecordID>55233</EventRecordID>
        <Security />
      </System>
      <EventData>
      </EventData>
    </Event>
    Date:          20-03-2011 13:41:05
    Description:
    Event Xml:
      <System>
        <Level>2</Level>
        <Task>0</Task>
        <TimeCreated SystemTime="2011-03-20T08:11:05.000000000Z" />
        <EventRecordID>55232</EventRecordID>
        <Security />
      </System>
      <EventData>
        <Data>
        </Data>
      </EventData>
    </Event>
    Date:          20-03-2011 13:41:05
    Description:
    Event Xml:
      <System>
        <Level>3</Level>
        <Task>0</Task>
        <TimeCreated SystemTime="2011-03-20T08:11:05.000000000Z" />
        <EventRecordID>55231</EventRecordID>
        <Security />
      </System>
      <EventData>
      </EventData>
    </Event>
    Date:          20-03-2011 13:40:48
    Description:
    Event Xml:
      <System>
        <Level>2</Level>
        <Task>0</Task>
        <TimeCreated SystemTime="2011-03-20T08:10:48.000000000Z" />
        <EventRecordID>55230</EventRecordID>
        <Security />
      </System>
      <EventData>
        <Data>
        </Data>
      </EventData>
    </Event>
    Date:          20-03-2011 13:40:47
    Description:
    Event Xml:
      <System>
        <Level>3</Level>
        <Task>0</Task>
        <TimeCreated SystemTime="2011-03-20T08:10:47.000000000Z" />
        <EventRecordID>55229</EventRecordID>