Backup failing with Unexpected error 0x54e on GlobalClusterLatest.4096.dat RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

All backups started failing since yesterday evening with the following repeated error messages:

Code Block

Event Type: Error
    Event Source: HomeServer
    Event Category: Backup
    Event ID: 272
    Date:  07.12.2007
    Time:  01:29:36
    User:  N/A
    Computer: HOME
    Description:
    Unexpected error 0x54e from OpenOldGlobalClusterLatestFile on D:\folders\{00008086-058D-4C89-AB57-A7F909A47AB4}\GlobalClusterLatest.4096.dat: Unable to complete the requested operation because of either a catastrophic media failure or a data structure corruption on the disk.

For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.

This was preceded by another error message a few hours earlier:

Code Block

Event Type: Error
    Event Source: HomeServer
    Event Category: Backup
    Event ID: 272
    Date:  06.12.2007
    Time:  23:28:05
    User:  N/A
    Computer: HOME
    Description:
    Unexpected error 0x5 from MoveFile on D:\folders\{00008086-058D-4C89-AB57-A7F909A47AB4}\Control.4096.new: Access is denied.

For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.

Disks are fine, chkdsk OK, the server-storage diagnostics found a few "Permission is not consistent with Tombstone. Tombstone-Shadow mismatch" errors, but nothing significant.

There is an "1th Ace Sidstart mismatch. Permission is not consistent with Tombstone. Tombstone-Shadow mismatch" error on "GlobalClusterLatest.4096.dat", but this error seems to exist on many other files...

This is a plain-vanila OEM WHS, will all the latest patches, running two plugins: "Duplication Info 1.1.0.0" and "KeepVault 2.15". I now also has the "Windows Home Server Toolkit"...

If I understand things correctily, GlobalClusterLatest.4096.dat is the file that contains all the cluster hashes.

Does anyone have an idea what would happen if I erased this file? Would Backup rebuild it or will this hose all the backups?

Any suggestions?

Friday, December 7, 2007 11:05 AM

Answers

• SErmann, are you still experiencing this issue? At present there is no tool to rebuild the backup database. A few errors can be fixed manually, but for the most part you will have to delete your backup database and start over for the time being.
    Sunday, January 6, 2008 12:03 AM
  • Hello Ken,

Thank you for following up. I tried various techniques, but nothing worked, except deleting the backup database and start again.

Best regards,

Stephen

Sunday, January 6, 2008 10:37 AM

All replies

• Hi,

Erasing the GlobalClusterLatest.4096.dat file stops the WHS Backup crashing and backups now seem to run normally, but

• There is still an "Backup Server Error: A possible database consistency problem has been detected in the backup database" error in the Home Network Health dialog;
    • Backup Cleanup does not work: it starts and stops very quickly (23 seconds), old backups are not removed

Any suggestions about how to rebuild the backup database?

Friday, December 7, 2007 3:26 PM
  • SErmann, are you still experiencing this issue? At present there is no tool to rebuild the backup database. A few errors can be fixed manually, but for the most part you will have to delete your backup database and start over for the time being.
    Sunday, January 6, 2008 12:03 AM
  • Hello Ken,

Thank you for following up. I tried various techniques, but nothing worked, except deleting the backup database and start again.

Best regards,

Stephen

Sunday, January 6, 2008 10:37 AM