Backup software for the SYS drive RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I'm wondering what backup software other users use to image their SYS drive. I know that there is plenty of backup software around, however given that WHS is 2003 server at heart... most backup apps won't install unless you are installing the server version (which is vastly more expense in most cases).

Can anyone give me a good cheap solution?

Thanks.
    Friday, November 28, 2008 9:58 PM

Answers

• Beersmith, there is no supported way to back up and restore just the system drive to a state other than factory fresh. To get back to "as originally installed", you can use the Windows Home Server installation DVD (the server recovery DVD for an OEM unit) and a special installation mode referred to as "server reinstallation" or "server recovery".
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Friday, November 28, 2008 10:25 PM

All replies

• London, this is a good place to practice with the forum software. It's possible, if you're using an off-brand browser, that your browser isn't fully compatible with the forum software. It's also possible that you've turned off some feature (such as javascript) that the forume requires for full functionality.
    Friday, November 28, 2008 10:23 PM
  • Beersmith, there is no supported way to back up and restore just the system drive to a state other than factory fresh. To get back to "as originally installed", you can use the Windows Home Server installation DVD (the server recovery DVD for an OEM unit) and a special installation mode referred to as "server reinstallation" or "server recovery".
    Friday, November 28, 2008 10:25 PM