Drive Failure RRS feed

• Question

• Possibly unrelated to the Beta Release, my usually stable WHS is failing. Several "issues" have emerged since installing PowerPack 1: An incompatibility was observed that caused me to uninstall Windows Desktop Search Ver 3.01. Other than no longer having search, no other consequences were noted.

Now, gulp, a reported Unhealthy drive. My new (5 months old) 500Mb drive is reported bad. I don't seem to be able to maintain effective control of the WHS Console program to attempt a repair.

I am now getting worried.

Ray Levy

Intrepid WHS Beta tester

Sunday, July 13, 2008 7:07 PM

All replies

•  SAARay wrote:
    Possibly unrelated to the Beta Release, my usually stable WHS is failing. Several "issues" have emerged since installing PowerPack 1: An incompatibility was observed that caused me to uninstall Windows Desktop Search Ver 3.01. Other than no longer having search, no other consequences were noted.

Now, gulp, a reported Unhealthy drive. My new (5 months old) 500Mb drive is reported bad. I don't seem to be able to maintain effective control of the WHS Console program to attempt a repair.

I am now getting worried.

Ray Levy

Intrepid WHS Beta tester

Have you filed a bug report on Connect yet?

Sunday, July 13, 2008 10:47 PM
  •  

Ray-

Can you perform a Repair on the drive through Server Storage in the WHS Console?  Does it show the amount of free space/total space?

I am asking because I lost a 500GB drive a few days ago because it all of a sudden became un-formatted.  I had PP1 on their for about 3 weeks.

Tuesday, July 15, 2008 9:01 PM
  •  SAARay wrote:

An incompatibility was observed that caused me to uninstall Windows Desktop Search Ver 3.01.

Ray Levy

Intrepid WHS Beta tester

Ray - can you elaborate on this? 

There should have been no reason to uninstall Windows Desktop Search v3.01

Wednesday, July 16, 2008 8:39 PM
  • To be honest, I'm humbled by the complexity of your product. Something bad happened to one Disk Drive. The 500Mb SATA drive was reported as unhealthy and I was unable to maintain control of the WHS Connector application to possibly "repair" the drive. And, subsequent restarts were interrupted by a ChkDsk, which goes away and does not run at all.

I was pleased when I reinstalled WHS (without PP1) and, the 500Gb appeared OK and was successfully added to my data store. What I wonder now is my Shared Folders Backup, stored on a 4th drive, recoverable?

So the new feature, the missing link really, the manual backup of WHS Shared Folders...is stored on a 160Gb SATA disk (currently unplugged). Can I somehow restore to my new shared folders?

I don't really know about the "Desktop Search Ver 3.01" problem. It was real. I first noticed it because my ordinarily docile WHS system seemed to be running all the time. Disk light flashing, sounded busy. This bugged me until I noticed the Status display which shows Activity and a total of indexed items. Well, this counter appeared to be going crazy and, as a service it was obviously lost, restarting did not change this behavior.

I uninstalled Search and, the problem was gone.

I appreciate your interest in my troubled system.

Ray Levy

Wednesday, July 16, 2008 11:11 PM
  •  SAARay wrote:
    To be honest, I'm humbled by the complexity of your product. Something bad happened to one Disk Drive. The 500Mb SATA drive was reported as unhealthy and I was unable to maintain control of the WHS Connector application to possibly "repair" the drive. And, subsequent restarts were interrupted by a ChkDsk, which goes away and does not run at all.

I was pleased when I reinstalled WHS (without PP1) and, the 500Gb appeared OK and was successfully added to my data store. What I wonder now is my Shared Folders Backup, stored on a 4th drive, recoverable?

So the new feature, the missing link really, the manual backup of WHS Shared Folders...is stored on a 160Gb SATA disk (currently unplugged). Can I somehow restore to my new shared folders?

You should be able to recover everything on that drive.  First, hook up the backup drive.  Then go to the Computers and Backup tab in the Console.  You should see your server listed there.  Just select it, then select View Backups.  It should give you a list of everything on that backup drive.  Just select the date you want (most likely the newest one) and click Restore.

SAARay wrote:
    I don't really know about the "Desktop Search Ver 3.01" problem. It was real. I first noticed it because my ordinarily docile WHS system seemed to be running all the time. Disk light flashing, sounded busy. This bugged me until I noticed the Status display which shows Activity and a total of indexed items. Well, this counter appeared to be going crazy and, as a service it was obviously lost, restarting did not change this behavior.

As I recall, WHS has to re-index everything after installing PP1 (but it really only does it the first time after installing).  Desktop Search is used to control the search function in Remote Access.  You might want to consider re-installing it and let it run through to completion.

SAARay wrote:
    I uninstalled Search and, the problem was gone.

I appreciate your interest in my troubled system.

Ray Levy

Thursday, July 17, 2008 12:05 AM
  • I have not reinstalled PowerPack 1 and, I'm guessing here, the idea of a server backup is a new feature and it won't appear until the server backup support is installed. I might plug it in and see.

How about the mysterious 500Mb drive which became "lost" and now appears OK. Should I be worried?

I'll put on my happy face and wait for the official release.

Please hurry!

Ray

Thursday, July 17, 2008 12:21 AM
  •  SAARay wrote:
    I have not reinstalled PowerPack 1 and, I'm guessing here, the idea of a server backup is a new feature and it won't appear until the server backup support is installed. I might plug it in and see.

Correct.  That feature is only in PP1.

SAARay wrote:
    How about the mysterious 500Mb drive which became "lost" and now appears OK. Should I be worried?

Well, it's not good. Wink  Is it an external drive by any chance?

SAARay wrote:
    I'll put on my happy face and wait for the official release.

Please hurry!

Ray

Thursday, July 17, 2008 12:57 AM
  • I currently have 4 SATA internal drives, running on a relatively modern Intel 965 motherboard.

I have 3 hooked up at the moment, 2 x 160Gb + 1 x 500Mb. The 4th drive (unplugged) hopefully contains my (PP1) server backup of my shared folders.

It's back the way it was (almost) before I installed PP! beta. I'm thinking about trying PP! again. Just thinking about it.

Thanks for your interest.

Ray

Thursday, July 17, 2008 6:46 PM
  •  SAARay wrote:
    I currently have 4 SATA internal drives, running on a relatively modern Intel 965 motherboard.

I have 3 hooked up at the moment, 2 x 160Gb + 1 x 500Mb. The 4th drive (unplugged) hopefully contains my (PP1) server backup of my shared folders.

(I assume you mean 500 GB Smile  )  You might want to check the cables for that drive (maybe one end is loose).  However, I'd keep an eye on it.  If that happens with the same drive again, I'd consider either the hard drive, power cable, or data cable suspect and would start looking for a replacement.

SAARay wrote:
    It's back the way it was (almost) before I installed PP! beta. I'm thinking about trying PP! again. Just thinking about it.

Thanks for your interest.

Ray

Thursday, July 17, 2008 7:17 PM