none
WINDOWS 7 ULTIMATE is stating its not genuine when it is .... help ... please ? RRS feed

• Question

• Hi

i came home to find my computer restarted stating that it WINDOWS 7 Ultimate is not genuine when it clearly is.

I have the original packaging which includes the discs for both 64bit and 32bit, the product code, a manual and and a white sheet regarding an upgrade to xp. When i purchased WINDOWS 7 around 5 or 6 months back it was factory sealed with COA on the plastic casing still in tact. I have tried contacting microsoft but i cannot find anyway to get through. WHen i phone them they say something about my confirmation code and that they cannot help me. When i went on the support site the site wouldnt accept my product ID and any other way of contacting microsoft you have to pay through the nose for which you shouldnt have to do when ive already done it once for the key/software.

i dont no what to do to solve this problem and have no clue what effects this will have on my machine if i leave it unactivated.

Any help would be appreciated. Please reply asap as its making my blood boil that microsoft have caused the problem and wont even help!!

Tuesday, September 20, 2011 12:13 PM

Answers

• You may be confusing the product ID with the Product Key.  The Product Key is the 25-character code on the sticker on your dvd sleeve and looks likd this:

*****-*****-4F8HK-M4P73-W8DQG (partially masked for security)

That is NOT what the Microsoft support site wants.  The Product ID is found on your system properties page and looks like this:

00371-863-9948865-85180

That IS what Microsoft support wants.  You find the Product ID by pressing WinKey+Pause and scrolling to the bottom of the Window.  The Product ID is not printed on a label because it is generated by the computer after Windows is installed.

Colin Barnhorst Windows 7 Ultimate x64 on DIY with 6GB ram.
    Tuesday, September 20, 2011 2:41 PM
    Answerer

All replies

•   In order to receive the best support, we request all users initially download and run the Genuine Diagnostics tool (MGADiag.exe) at this link http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=52012. Click "Continue", click the "Copy" button then “Paste” the report into a reply message in this thread
    Tuesday, September 20, 2011 12:45 PM
    Answerer
  • You may be confusing the product ID with the Product Key.  The Product Key is the 25-character code on the sticker on your dvd sleeve and looks likd this:

*****-*****-4F8HK-M4P73-W8DQG (partially masked for security)

That is NOT what the Microsoft support site wants.  The Product ID is found on your system properties page and looks like this:

00371-863-9948865-85180

That IS what Microsoft support wants.  You find the Product ID by pressing WinKey+Pause and scrolling to the bottom of the Window.  The Product ID is not printed on a label because it is generated by the computer after Windows is installed.

Colin Barnhorst Windows 7 Ultimate x64 on DIY with 6GB ram.
    Tuesday, September 20, 2011 2:41 PM
    Answerer