New shadow copy error RRS feed

• Question

•  
    Dear WHS team and forum members,

Today I lost lots of data by accidently deleting a directory in a user share. I assumed that Volume Shadow Copies would protect my data.

To reproduce the problem:
    Scenario:
    * HP Media Smart server with 2 disks in the storage pool and 1 disk for server backup.
    * VSS enabled and snapshot taken
    * on the server browse to \\server\photos\mydirectory and right click and view properties. Click previous versions.

What I expect to happen
    When I go to "previous versions" and choose yesterday's snapshot I can drag the files to the desktop.

What actually happens
    I get the error message

"Error copying file or folder
    Cannot copy <file name>. The device is not connected"

There is also a possibly related entry in the server event log.

"
    Event Type: Warning
    Event Source: MRxSmb
    Event Category: None
    Event ID: 3019
    Date:  11/01/2009
    Time:  22:02:24
    User:  N/A
    Computer: SERVER1
    Description:
    The redirector failed to determine the connection type.

For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.
    Data:
    0000: 00 00 00 00 04 00 4e 00   ......N.
    0008: 00 00 00 00 cb 0b 00 80   ....Ë..€
    0010: 00 00 00 00 84 01 00 c0   ....„..À
    0018: 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00   ........
    0020: 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00   ........
    "
    Please help
    WHS is meant to make it harder to loose data not easier. I am now in the bizarre situation of advising my family to store important documents on their old laptops rather than my new server because that gives a better chance of file recover. My linux colleagues at work are laughing at me through their beards.

* How can I make VSS work?

xJamesB
    Sunday, January 11, 2009 10:50 PM

Answers

• Hello,
    previous versions are not supported in Windows Home Server (and I assume not in Linux either). Especially on the HP Home Server they are disabled by default.
    You may check, if this thread helps you to regain access to eventually still existing previous versions. (The direct share gives you only access to the tombstones, which may point to the deleted files.)
    Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf
    Sunday, January 11, 2009 11:33 PM
  • xJamesB said:

Today I lost lots of data by accidently deleting a directory in a user share. I assumed that Volume Shadow Copies would protect my data.

Scenario:
    * HP Media Smart server with 2 disks in the storage pool and 1 disk for server backup.
    * on the server browse to \\server\photos\mydirectory and right click and view properties. Click previous versions.

First, this is nothing new.  Previous Versions has never worked properly on WHS.  Second, Previous Versions is disabled on all HP MSS machines by default (and does not work correctly on any WHS installation), which means you must have changed the registry in order to get your server to create Shadow Copies.

xJamesB said:

What I expect to happen
    When I go to "previous versions" and choose yesterday's snapshot I can drag the files to the desktop.

What actually happens
    I get the error message

"
    Description:

For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.
    Data:
    "

Please help
    WHS is meant to make it harder to loose data not easier. I am now in the bizarre situation of advising my family to store important documents on their old laptops rather than my new server because that gives a better chance of file recover. My linux colleagues at work are laughing at me through their beards.

xJamesB

The short answer is: you can't (at least not without assisting your server after every reboot).  The reason it doesn't work is because Previous Versions works on a per-volume level.  However, WHS takes all of the volumes and combines them into a storage pool.  After you reboot your server, the only volume that has Previous Versions available is the primary drive (and the only time any data is stored on that drive is when the secondary drives are full).

Having said that, you might be able to get them to work again after a reboot by following this thread.  It's unsupported, but I've been using it since last summer and it works for me.
    Sunday, January 11, 2009 11:35 PM

All replies

• Hello,
    previous versions are not supported in Windows Home Server (and I assume not in Linux either). Especially on the HP Home Server they are disabled by default.
    You may check, if this thread helps you to regain access to eventually still existing previous versions. (The direct share gives you only access to the tombstones, which may point to the deleted files.)
    Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf
    Sunday, January 11, 2009 11:33 PM
  • xJamesB said:

Scenario:

First, this is nothing new.  Previous Versions has never worked properly on WHS.  Second, Previous Versions is disabled on all HP MSS machines by default (and does not work correctly on any WHS installation), which means you must have changed the registry in order to get your server to create Shadow Copies.

xJamesB said:

What I expect to happen

What actually happens
    I get the error message

"
    Description:

Data:
    "

Please help

xJamesB

The short answer is: you can't (at least not without assisting your server after every reboot).  The reason it doesn't work is because Previous Versions works on a per-volume level.  However, WHS takes all of the volumes and combines them into a storage pool.  After you reboot your server, the only volume that has Previous Versions available is the primary drive (and the only time any data is stored on that drive is when the secondary drives are full).

Having said that, you might be able to get them to work again after a reboot by following this thread.  It's unsupported, but I've been using it since last summer and it works for me.
    Sunday, January 11, 2009 11:35 PM