none
HP Driver Workaround? RRS feed

• Question

• I have run out of ideas to try. HP does not provide a Server 2003 driver for my Photosmart D 7160.  Neither the XP nor win 2000 drivers will install. The install app recognizes WHS as Server 2003 and gives an error that it is not supported. I tried running the install app in XP compatability mode, but still got a "product not supported" error. The HP Universal driver installs, but won't print.

Any further suggestions I might try, or an I looking at buying a different printer if I want it to be shared by WHS? Thanks!

Scott

Saturday, February 16, 2008 6:53 PM

Answers

• Its all about the drivers.

It might be worth you contacting HP to see if they will be releasing a driver for WHS given that they have the MediaSmart WHS box.

Andrew

Sunday, February 17, 2008 7:35 AM
  • I sent HP an email asking about drivers hoping that might get them thinking about the need to better support WHS.

Meanwhile, I solved my issue by spending another $70.00 and am now using a Linksys PSUS4 wired network print server. Was a nightmare setup. The cd didn't work. Eventually, I figured out that I needed to manually add a standart TCP/IP port to each PC on the network!  No hint about that in the manual. Its working great now, and I don't have to put my printer in the same room as the server!

Scott

Tuesday, February 19, 2008 2:53 PM

All replies

• I have a feeling you might be looking to buy a different printer. Although its not like you can just look on HPs website (for example) for a WHS compatible photo printer.

I had this problem when Vista was released - had to dump my Panasonic printer and buy a HP one just so I could print again!

You might want to consider just keeping the printer on one of your computers that does work and sharing it rather than buying a whole new printer.

Andrew

Saturday, February 16, 2008 10:16 PM
  • This won't help with that model....

But I have an HP Photosmart 6180 all-in-one.....

Did NOT set it up as a shared printer using WHS.....

Just set it up as a networked printer using the HP software.....

Router gave it an IP

Then I just ran the HP Printer Install disk on my 5 Vista machines and now all 5 see it as a "networked Printer"

And they all have all of the all-in one functions.....

With this model----I couldn't figure out any advantages of having it become a device through WHS.....

Sunday, February 17, 2008 1:49 AM
  • Thanks for the reply Andrew.  I am afraid you are right. For now, I have set my HP Photosmart up as a share on my main desktop, but its a pain. Hosting a shared printer is prob the main reason I run a home server. I like the printer to be on a computer that is always on, and is not used for games, but I don't want to run 2 all the time.

Funny, I have been hosting my family webpage/FTP/printer on a machine running Linux for a year or so. My drive was full, and I didn't want to have to figure out how to mount another disk. I liked the way WSH did  backups, and how much easier it would be for the grandmas to upload to than trying to explain to them how to set up an FTP client, etc, so I decided to pull my drives out of my linux box and migrate my server setup too WHS. Tested everything but the printer before I wiped my linux drives and added them to the WHS pool. I just took it for granted that since HP made drivers for linux that Ithey would be available for WHS!  I actually thought XP drivers would work. Oh well, no turning back. I am now trying to decide whether I should  get one of those $60-$80 network servers like Trendnet or Dlink, or to just buy a different printer and give my Photosmart to one of the kids.

Scott

Sunday, February 17, 2008 7:13 AM
  • Its all about the drivers.

It might be worth you contacting HP to see if they will be releasing a driver for WHS given that they have the MediaSmart WHS box.

Andrew

Sunday, February 17, 2008 7:35 AM
  • I sent HP an email asking about drivers hoping that might get them thinking about the need to better support WHS.

Meanwhile, I solved my issue by spending another $70.00 and am now using a Linksys PSUS4 wired network print server. Was a nightmare setup. The cd didn't work. Eventually, I figured out that I needed to manually add a standart TCP/IP port to each PC on the network!  No hint about that in the manual. Its working great now, and I don't have to put my printer in the same room as the server!

Scott

Tuesday, February 19, 2008 2:53 PM