New Hardrive RRS feed

• Question

• I bought a new hard drive and installed windows xp on it now it keeps telling me I need to activate it, but I have a genuine copy with a cd key and everything why should I pay 149 dollars for a genuine when I already have one

HELP PLEASE!!!

Sunday, July 2, 2006 3:50 AM

Answers

• desireemm,

To help me understand the issue further can you please follow the steps below?

1. Download and run the WGA Diagnostic Tool  http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=52012

2. After running the WGA Diagnostic Tool, click on the "Windows" tab and then click on "Copy to Clipboard". Paste the results into your forum response.

Thanks,

Tuesday, July 4, 2006 6:17 PM

All replies

• I had to replace the optical drive on one of my computers, I paid over $225 for Windows XP Pro, it failed.

I tried getting help on the phone, I tried to activate on the phone and the internet. I tried getting help here, there tools don't work, and they ignore me.

I hope and pray you get better than what they did to me.

Sunday, July 2, 2006 3:59 AM
  • Desireemm,

Each time you install Windows XP, it requires that it be activated.

Normally this happens over the internet in a few seconds.  Are you getting a message that you have activated too many times?  If so, a phone call normally addresses the problem.

Please follow these steps for assistance:

Step 1 is to download and run the utility at this link http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=52012, then click the Windows tab, Copy to Clipboard, then paste the report into a response message in this thread.

Step 2 is to look on the computer or with the materials you received with the computer to see if you have a Certificate of Authenticty (COA).  If you have one, tell us about the COA.  Tell us:

1.  What edition of Windows XP is it for, Home, Pro, or Media Center?

2.  Does it read "OEM Software" or "OEM Product" in black lettering?

3.  Or, does it have the computer manufacturer's name in black lettering?

4.  DO NOT post the Product Key.

Not sure what to look for?  Click here:  http://www.microsoft.com/resources/howtotell/en/coa.mspx

Sunday, July 2, 2006 12:24 PM
  • It is not accurate to make a blanket statement that you have to activate XP every time it is installed. You never have to activate it on a Dell even if installed on a different Dell. You can get a Dell reinstallation disk from any tom, dick or harry who will burn you a copy and install xp and as long as you install on a Dell you don't have to activate. Now, Microsoft says it is not legal to install xp on any Dell except the Dell it came on but Dell doesn't necessarily agree with that. It would depend on the circumstances under which you wanted to install it Dell has told me. A major selling point for the OEMs is NO activation ever.  This can't be illegal since Microsoft approved Dell's method of dealing with activation.
    Sunday, July 2, 2006 1:23 PM
  • Hello Dan,

After I replaced the Optical Drive, or several parts I can use factory Image without activation problems.

If I use a different Hard Drive with Retail Version on it, I must activate like always, its different know it fails activation.

I bought a retail version because I could get plain software that only needs the hardware drivers and be Windows XP Pro and not be Windows XP Home also.

I have 2 Fujitsu discs:

1. Restore:

1a. erase

1b. restore factory image

2. Drivers and Software.

My COA :  Windows XP Home Edition  (<under this, Fujitsu)

I won't show you what that tool shows, it malfunctions on me.

I have several Hard Drives:

1. This one I'm using, has Fujitsu Factory Image no need to activate, it fails if I use your MGA tool or your KeyUpdater, I had to use System Restore to get back to normal.

2. This other Hard Drive I have, has Retail version of Windows XP Pro, that fails activation everytime I use it now, it never did before, its not a copy, its genuine, its proved to be genuine, no one on the phone can fix it, your tools don't fix it, I tried to activate on the phone or the Internet, nothing.

Question is: Did the same thing happen to me when I installed a Hard Drive?

Sunday, July 2, 2006 2:09 PM
  • I just realized what you wrote, it happens some what like that.

First it wrote used to many times, with the key already there. After all these months upon months, it just wrote something else, it just won't accept it.

That is if I use the Retail Version.

If I use the Factory Image:

The label under this Notebook (COA) writes: Windows XP Home Edition, (nothing about OEM) only Fujitsu next

Only when I go to My Computer, then to View System Information, then its a group of 4 with OEM there.

I tried your tools they don't work, I tried the telephone, I tried the Internet. None of that is helpful, because I did it.

I don't plan to show you what the tool wrote, I think its more trouble than its worth. I think its more trouble to go wrong.

Because I tried it with the Factory Image, and it malfunctioned on me, I had to go to System Restore to restore to normal. My software would of been terminated.

Sunday, July 2, 2006 8:06 PM
  • desireemm,

To help me understand the issue further can you please follow the steps below?

1. Download and run the WGA Diagnostic Tool  http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=52012

2. After running the WGA Diagnostic Tool, click on the "Windows" tab and then click on "Copy to Clipboard". Paste the results into your forum response.

Thanks,

Tuesday, July 4, 2006 6:17 PM
  • please can you help me my computer shuts down after 5 mins every time i swich it on
    Wednesday, April 18, 2007 11:45 AM
  •  majorcagirl wrote:
    please can you help me my computer shuts down after 5 mins every time i swich it on
    Wednesday, April 18, 2007 12:13 PM
  •  majorcagirl wrote:
    please can you help me my computer shuts down after 5 mins every time i swich it on
    Wednesday, April 18, 2007 12:13 PM
  • Majorcagirl,

This is probably a hardware issue, which is beyond the scope of the purpose of the Windows Genuine Advantage forum.

However, it would be very easy to check a likely candidate for the problem, a bad processor heat sink fan.  Open the computer case (as long as this will not violate the computer's warranty to do so), then start the computer and look to see if the fan mounted onto the processor heat sink is operating, or if the fan and heat sink are caked with dust.

Wednesday, April 18, 2007 1:06 PM
  • thanks very much dan you was spot on with what you said it was thanks
    Friday, April 20, 2007 6:21 PM
  • Majorcagirl,

You're welcome!

Saturday, April 21, 2007 12:44 AM