Live OneCare eliminated all access to local network RRS feed

• Question

• Last night my local windows network (3 desktop computers, 1 laptop, 1 printer, 1 DSL connection) worked fine. Sometime during the night onecare downlaoded some sort of update. This morning, all the computers had various enigmatic onecare messages on them, and my network is nonfunctional. Sfter crewing around with it all morning, I figured out that the firewall is preventing the local network connections. When I turn off the firewall on each computer, the computers can ping each other and see the shared files. When I turn on the firewall, the networked computers stop communicating. I have tried everythhing I can find to configure the firewall to allow the local connections. Both file sharing functions (local and subnet) in the advanced properties box are turned on. Nothing helps. Oddly, all the computers can still access the DSL modem/router, which is connected through the ethernet switch.

Again, everything worked fine yesterday, and we took no intervening action. The network and onecare have been coexisting happily for months. Today, nothing works. The only option I can figure is to turn off the firewall completely, but that is not acceptable!

Thursday, January 10, 2008 9:50 PM

Answers

• Open OneCare and click on Configure Network on the Firewall tab in v2 of OneCare. Make sure that it is set to Home of Work in order for File and Printer sharing to function.

If that doesn't help, please describe your network environment in more detail.

Wired, wireless, mixed, number of active adaptors in each PC, operating systems, etc.

-steve

Friday, January 11, 2008 2:40 PM

All replies

• Same problem here, exactly the same! Three computers in a small network cannot communicate anymore. If I switch off the Onecare firewall everything works fine.

Friday, January 11, 2008 11:36 AM
  • Open OneCare and click on Configure Network on the Firewall tab in v2 of OneCare. Make sure that it is set to Home of Work in order for File and Printer sharing to function.

If that doesn't help, please describe your network environment in more detail.

Wired, wireless, mixed, number of active adaptors in each PC, operating systems, etc.

-steve

Friday, January 11, 2008 2:40 PM
  •  BenSAlexander wrote:

This morning, all the computers had various enigmatic onecare messages on them, and my network is nonfunctional.

Can you provide more information on what messages you got from OneCare? One of them should have instructed you to configure the network, identifying it as Home or Work (or public), and another would have been to configure backup (or not) following the upgrade to v2.

See my other reply in this thread for what to check and other information to provide if it is still a problem.

-steve

Friday, January 11, 2008 2:42 PM
  • OK, the problem is solved. Switching the firewall from public to home/work solved the problem.

But it must be changed from onecare automatically with the last update, because no user changed the setting. It was also changed on several other computers.

Is there a protocol where I can see these changes when and why they happend?

Monday, January 14, 2008 9:10 AM
  • It changed when you took the 2. update as this was not a feature in 1.6. Public vs. Private was not something you could configure in the OneCare interface.

-steve

Monday, January 14, 2008 6:27 PM