none
Quasi-duplicate files being created

Question

• Using the Echo option from one drive's folder to another, I sometimes notice "shadow" files on the destination.

For example, if the source file is say myname.txt, the destination folder will contain at the end of the run these 2 files:

myname.txt

myname.1.txt

Sometimes the latter file is newer, sometimes older. What is causing this, and how can I prevent it?

Wednesday, February 07, 2018 10:29 PM

Answers

• I found out, in some older posts.

that if there is a collision between left and right versions of the files. (Left renamed, right created the same file, different sizes and timestamps) SyncToy has a "safety feature" that keeps the files by adding a decimal just before the extention.

Only fact i cannot figure out is why the difference between ages. My guess Synctoy would say keep the joungest file, but that is not the fact.

I did not test by deleting the .dat file, i only tried to reproduce the issues we had between a NTFS drive and an ext4 drive.

• Marked as answer by ronks Thursday, February 15, 2018 1:01 AM
    Thursday, February 15, 2018 12:03 AM
  • link to the older post (yes 2008!) :

https://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/691b6dbe-a3bf-445d-a68d-e69a7454a48f/after-synctoy-runs-rogue-1-files-appear?forum=synctoy

Thursday, February 15, 2018 12:07 AM

All replies

• Not perfectly certain I found the answer, but this may be it. I suspect the SyncToy_blahblah.dat files got corrupted at some point. I deleted all the folder pairs and recreated them fresh, and now I can run ST without any .1. files being created.
    Thursday, February 08, 2018 9:19 PM
  • I found out, in some older posts.

that if there is a collision between left and right versions of the files. (Left renamed, right created the same file, different sizes and timestamps) SyncToy has a "safety feature" that keeps the files by adding a decimal just before the extention.

Only fact i cannot figure out is why the difference between ages. My guess Synctoy would say keep the joungest file, but that is not the fact.

I did not test by deleting the .dat file, i only tried to reproduce the issues we had between a NTFS drive and an ext4 drive.

Thursday, February 15, 2018 12:03 AM
  • link to the older post (yes 2008!) :

https://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/691b6dbe-a3bf-445d-a68d-e69a7454a48f/after-synctoy-runs-rogue-1-files-appear?forum=synctoy

Thursday, February 15, 2018 12:07 AM
  • I suspect that is the explanation; I had a feeling it was some kind of backup copy or the like. As I mentioned last week, my "nuke and rerun" resolved the issue (I just checked again a few minutes ago), but it is good to see the explanation.
    Thursday, February 15, 2018 1:00 AM