Windows Security Alert RRS feed

• Question

•  

Hi,

I am getting a Windows Security Alert saying that it cannot find my Windows Live One Care. I have first ran a virus scan to make sure I had no viruses then I went ahead and unistalled the program downloading the removal tool and then reinstalled it hoping it would then see it. Unfortunately that did not work and I am still getting that alert, why is Windows not recognizing this software. I am running Windows Vista Ultimate 64bit if that makes a difference. Any help you can give me would be appreciatted.

Friday, June 20, 2008 4:42 PM

Answers

All replies

• If Windows Live OneCare is running and shows a green icon in the system tray, see this post to fix the Security Center's database: 

Windows Security Center fix - http://forums.microsoft.com/WindowsOneCare/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=2469173&SiteID=2

-steve

Friday, June 20, 2008 5:04 PM
  • I tried all of three of the suggestions that you posted and none of them fixed the problem unfortunately. The first one for some reason I get an error saying that after I typed in each command line that it failed because access was denied even thought I am the admin on the comp.  (Not sure what you mean when you say that you need to be elvated admin as I can't find that option on my computer) As for the other two postings that you put up I had no problems with doing them but the just did not seem to do anything. I restarted the computer after each process just to make sure that I was not complicating things but againg didn't seem to help. If you have any other suggestions please let me know.

Friday, June 20, 2008 6:12 PM
  • Two suggestions, actually.

1. Elevated command prompt in Vista means that you type cmd or command in the Vista search box. Then in the results list above, you'll see command.exe. Right click the entry and select Run as administrator.

2. Open Windows Security Center from Control panel and select "Change the way Security Center warns me" and disable the monitoring of protection by the Security Center, relying instead on the OneCare icon status and messages to alert you to problems.

And a 3rd.... if all else fails, contact support.

How to reach support (FAQ) - http://forums.microsoft.com/WindowsOneCare/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=2421771&SiteID=2

-steve

Friday, June 20, 2008 7:05 PM
  • Thanks that was somewhat helpful, I was albe to run the cmd prompt as elevated admin, was try to just right click on the open cmd window to run it as admin before instead of doing it from the start menu. Unfortunately once I was in the correct screen still not making a difference. So the only I was able to do was go into the Security panel and disable the Security Center icon from popping up. Guess I will leave it there for now unless my husband decides that he wants to pursue this further.

Friday, June 20, 2008 8:38 PM
  • Glad you got the warning to go away. You can contact support for help in resolving the Security Center issue. You only need to turn that monitoring back on if you choose to remove OneCare as OneCare gives you the indication of its status in the system tray, covering all of the bases monitored by the Windows Security Center.

-steve

Saturday, June 21, 2008 1:27 AM
  • Why can I not set Security Alert. for only Sunday at 3am, as I do not want it to run daily... Yeas, I have gone in and set and applied it for Sunday, but, it runs daily... And I also want to know how old of ones I need to keep running as I have ones from 2006.. or can they be deleted after new ones are installed?

Thanks,

Irish_Joey@msn.com 

Sunday, July 13, 2008 5:19 AM
  •  Irish_Joey wrote:

Why can I not set Security Alert. for only Sunday at 3am, as I do not want it to run daily... Yeas, I have gone in and set and applied it for Sunday, but, it runs daily... And I also want to know how old of ones I need to keep running as I have ones from 2006.. or can they be deleted after new ones are installed?

Thanks,

Irish_Joey@msn.com 

Are you asking about Windows Automatic Updates? If so, you are off topic for this forum, which is for Windows Live OneCare.

No, you generally should not remove the hidden Windows Update install files.

-steve

Monday, July 14, 2008 4:55 PM