locked
WHS - Can not connect to https website or remote console RRS feed

  • Question

  • installed WHS and was able to connect using the remote console but then changed the servers IP to static using the router to assign an IP to the Servers MAC.  now I can not connect to using the remote console and can hit the 192.168.10.150 HTTP site but when clicking onto the log on button it fails.

    WHS sees the computer, does backups and I can assess shared folders.  I have another Vista machine and it connects fine.  I have uninstalled the connector software and reinstalled many times from the servers software directory.

    how can I trouble shoot this?  I would like to get this server headless and manage remote.

    I have found that I can connect to the machine with MSTSC

    ** Update 10/19/09 8:04pm pst
    I found on the WHS firewall settings an entry for HTTPS set to port 5600.  I updated that to 443 and can now access the 192.168.10.150 logon page.  Still can't access the system through the remote console. on this machine. 

    New question, how did my other machine connect to the webpage but the other couldn't?

    ** Update 10/19/09 9:33pm pst
    I used the WHS toolkit to diagnose the issues and did a couple of things to resolve my issues
    1st, unchecked automatically detect settings under internet options.
    2nd, changed my DNS settings to the default and not use opendns name servers.

    After this I was able to reconnect to the WHS using the remote console and able to log into the 192.168.10.150 webpage.  I will have to test remote access from outside my network, it seems that my ISP or router blocks website requests if they are started from inside the intranet.
    • Changed type stemo76 Tuesday, October 20, 2009 4:37 AM
    Monday, October 19, 2009 9:22 PM

Answers

  • Thanks, I had tried the DNS flush and that didn't resolve the issue.  I posted some updates in the original message on the issues I did find.  I am back up and running now.
    • Marked as answer by stemo76 Tuesday, October 20, 2009 4:22 PM
    Tuesday, October 20, 2009 4:22 PM

All replies

  • Maybe your other machine had still a wrong IP address cached for the name.
    Usually its enough, to issue the command
    ipconfig /flushdns
    in a command prompt on the client to fix this behavior.
    Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf
    Tuesday, October 20, 2009 1:44 PM
    Moderator
  • Thanks, I had tried the DNS flush and that didn't resolve the issue.  I posted some updates in the original message on the issues I did find.  I am back up and running now.
    • Marked as answer by stemo76 Tuesday, October 20, 2009 4:22 PM
    Tuesday, October 20, 2009 4:22 PM