none
Migrating existing backups from Old Server to New Server? RRS feed

• Question

• I have an old homebuilt WHS PP3 with 7 PC's being backed up to it and am going to purchase a new WHS.  The process of moving over the share directories is easy enough, either through backing up to an external drive/source or inserting the HD with the share drives in to the new server and NOT adding it to the pool until the files are transfered over to the New Server HD.

I have 3 - 2 TB HD's that I think will condense down to 1 - 2 TB HD as I have been duplicating files.

However, what is the clean process of moving over all of my backups?  Do I need to sever my relationship from all the PC's with the old server first?  Do I need to uninstall the Windows Home Server Console from all the PC's and reinstall it when I hook up the new server?  Seems to me like I need to work backwards, uninstall the software from the PC that links it to the old server then forward again and reinstall the the PC's connection to the new server when the old server is disconnected.

Do I need to get the PC backups over to the new Server before or after I link the PC's to the New Server? 

Thanks!

Sunday, February 28, 2010 2:17 AM

Answers

• Hi,
    there is an Add-In, which you can use for this task (WHS BDBB).
    For switching a client PC to the new server, it is usually enough to run discovery.exe from each client PC, which can be found in C:\Program Files\Windows Home Server.
    Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf
    Sunday, February 28, 2010 8:50 AM

All replies

• Hi,
    there is an Add-In, which you can use for this task (WHS BDBB).
    For switching a client PC to the new server, it is usually enough to run discovery.exe from each client PC, which can be found in C:\Program Files\Windows Home Server.
    Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf
    Sunday, February 28, 2010 8:50 AM
  • Thank you!  Glad I was able to confirm the process and receive the additional help so quickly.
    Must appreciated,
    Sincerely,
    Dan
    Monday, March 1, 2010 3:47 AM