Folder/File name trunctuation length RRS feed

• Question

• Hi Guys, I've been sifting through the ASP code for the WHS remote access website in an attempt to find a way to increase the length at which folder/file names are trunctuated with the three dots (...), and haven't had any luck finding it.
    Even though the length of the table cell is quite long, the actual hyperlinked names trunctuate after only 12ish characters, I'd either like to increase this or remove the trunctuation completely.

Any advice would be appreciated, my ASP knowlege is quite limited.
    Saturday, October 27, 2007 11:32 PM

Answers

• You aren't finding it because it's not in the code in files.aspx. It's in Microsoft.HomeServer.RemoteAccess.dll. The issue you're seeing is (it appears) not a global one. I don't see file names being truncated in Internet Explorer. I do see them truncated in FireFox, so you would see the same thing in other browsers based on the same code.

Anyway, you aren't going to find an easy way to override the limitation, I'm afraid.
    Sunday, October 28, 2007 3:09 AM

All replies

• You aren't finding it because it's not in the code in files.aspx. It's in Microsoft.HomeServer.RemoteAccess.dll. The issue you're seeing is (it appears) not a global one. I don't see file names being truncated in Internet Explorer. I do see them truncated in FireFox, so you would see the same thing in other browsers based on the same code.

Anyway, you aren't going to find an easy way to override the limitation, I'm afraid.
    Sunday, October 28, 2007 3:09 AM
  • Thanks Ken
    Perhaps there will be better Firefox compatibility down the line?

Appreciate the quick response,
    Cheers
    Sunday, October 28, 2007 3:20 AM
  • I would guess yes. This has come up before, but with regard to something else. At that time, Microsoft acknowledged the truncation and said they would address it.

Colin

Sunday, October 28, 2007 11:09 AM
  • Microsoft keeps getting beaten up for not having good cross-browser compatibility. They are certainly aware of the issues in general (people will continue to use Firefox for a variety of reasons, for example). Most Microsoft corporate web sites work fine in Firefox, and the ones that don't often turn out to have been developed by third parties.

However, it's entirely possible that something about Firefox requires this behavior. On disassembling the specific method to reply to the OP, I found that this code is specific to Firefox.

The workaround for now is to use Internet Explorer, which doesn't display this behavior. You can use it stand-alone, or via IETab in Firefox. Either will work.
    Sunday, October 28, 2007 2:47 PM